Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a listing somewhere that shows in a table overview or something along those lines, at which point (Mac model and year), the various Macs started to get
a. soldered in RAM so it's not expandable, and
b. soldered in SSD's, and
c. soldered in anything else that used to be replacable and/or upgradable.

I was looking to get a really light Mac for travelling for my wife.
She finds the 2013 MacBook pro too heavy to carry everywhere, we bought a 11-inch MacBook Air for the lower weight but the screen was too small, so that didn't work.
A couple of days ago I was looking at the new MacBook with a 12-inch screen and a very light weight - didn't like the single port, but now I find out that the SSD is actually soldered right on the board.

Without checking every Mac individually, I wonder if anyone has come across a site where they might have covered this aspect of the MacBooks.

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts
Soldered RAM seems to be the current Apple norm, especially with Laptops. Not sure as to any exceptions. If the RAM is soldered, probably a good bet the SSD is as well.

Every computer I have ever owned has had more RAM at it's death than when it originally shipped.

Truth is every Apple OS requires more RAM than its predecessor and Apple is now updating the OS pretty much annually. The need for expandable RAM capabilities is greater than ever. RAM also fails and the soldered aspect will make replacement a very expensive proposition indeed.

SSDs on the other hand are not noted for extreme longevity. It may be to Apple's advantage to have a part that fails sometime shortly after the warranty expires, bricking the computer in the process. However that is not to the consumers advantage.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Is there a listing somewhere that shows in a table overview or something along those lines, at which point (Mac model and year), the various Macs started to get
a. soldered in RAM so it's not expandable, and
b. soldered in SSD's, and
c. soldered in anything else that used to be replacable and/or upgradable.

I was looking to get a really light Mac for travelling for my wife.
She finds the 2013 MacBook pro too heavy to carry everywhere, we bought a 11-inch MacBook Air for the lower weight but the screen was too small, so that didn't work.
A couple of days ago I was looking at the new MacBook with a 12-inch screen and a very light weight - didn't like the single port, but now I find out that the SSD is actually soldered right on the board.

Without checking every Mac individually, I wonder if anyone has come across a site where they might have covered this aspect of the MacBooks.
https://www.howtogeek.com/348562/can-you-upgrade-the-ram-in-your-mac/

Looks like the 17" MacBook Pro is the only option.

I'm awe struck that the iMac Pro doesn't have upgradeable RAM. That's absurd.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
https://www.howtogeek.com/348562/can-you-upgrade-the-ram-in-your-mac/

Looks like the 17" MacBook Pro is the only option.

I was about to post how the iMac Pro does have upgradeable RAM but then thought I should probably make sure I am right. My 27" 5K iMac is super easy to swap the RAM and I assumed the iMac Pro would be the same thing. Well I am partially wrong. The iMac Pro has upgradeable RAM it just looks like you have to remove the screen and really get into the guts of the iMac in order to change it. Whereas my 5K iMac has a nice slot at the back and takes about 2 minutes to swap out the RAM.

I really really want Apple to start getting decreasing sales. The whole route they are taking is awful in my opinion. Great for Apple as they are making billions, but as a consumer the choice and options out there have never been worse.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fBVy26FNbE[/ame]

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts

Almost even more amazing, or should I say absurd, is why they don't even have high speed Ethernet????

The new Apple directions I guess… it reminds me of what's her name and her comment to the revolting masses… let them eat cake!!!

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
Is there a listing somewhere that shows in a table overview or something along those lines, at which point (Mac model and year),

I haven't actually checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't some sort of listing available somewhere at the everymac site:
https://everymac.com/systems/by_capability/

Maybe not all in the same place but they usually have that information grouped somewhere.

Or maybe the Mactracker.app??

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I started to make my own table.
I get the info from everymac.com but haven't come across the type of comparison on that site.
The link polywog posted is the best so far when it comes to RAM.
I was looking for that as well as drive upgradability

Doesn't actually take that long to make a table because the changes from model to model are mostly minor CPU speed increases.

What struck me is that on the MacBook (which was the first laptop option I looked at because of the light weight for travelling) both the RAM and SSD are soldered in starting with the 2015 model. The one before that is the 2010 model where one can upgrade the RAM to 16 GB and upgrade the drive, but I want something that is a bit more future-proof. Besides that model at 4.7 pouds is fairly heavy.
On the MacBook one has to go to the latest 2017 model to even be able to upgrade to 16 GB RAM soldered in, all previous models less than 6 years old top out at 8 GB; even on that one, the crappy 480p webcam and the single USB-C port don't exactly get me exited.

Next option up was the 13-inch MacBook Air at 2.96 pounds.
It desperately needs a refresh. Even the latest model is only available with 8 GB RAM maximum. At least the SSD is upgradable and the webcam at 720p is OK for me. Also nice to have an SD card slot. If Apple had a 16 GB RAM option I would go for that even though it's heavier than I would like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts