Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy one of the new 20" iMacs and upgrade the memory to 2GB. I'd like to get some advice on whether buying the one with the 2.4 GHZ processor will make much difference over the 2.0 GHZ model, especially when it comes to using iMovie/Final Cut. I realize the hard drive is bigger and the video card is better on the more expensive model, but with the extra memory, is there going to much difference in the power of the iMac? Thanks.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I wouldn't do video with that glossy screen, unless the video was for web-only.
That screen won't hold up for broadcast.
I'd look around for a good price on a pervious gen-20" or 24".

Just my opinion.

James

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I wonder if we're making a bigger deal out of this glossy display. Ideally, Apple would have given us a choice, but we're stuck with what we have.

Instead of buying an older model (which is certainly a valid option), there are solutions to deal with glare from glass. Although most of the current solutions such as filters or adhesives aren't customized for the iMac, you can bet a bevy of new ones will come.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If by amateur you mean "home movies for kicks" then it should be enough. If you're talking about small movies/commercials with some effects where you'll want to color correct and makes some graphics for, I'd definately go with the upgrade.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts