Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an iPhone, and I loved it. So I'm pretty set on switching my Windows laptop over and getting a MacBook laptop. The only problem is, I have no clue which one works for me!

I basically use my computer for music. I'm always downloading music, and buying new CD's. I want to put all of my music library together, which is a few thousand songs. So there's that. I also make music, and I want to obviously share that with other people too through YouTube, whatever.
Other than that, I'd use it for normal msn, web browsing, school work etc.

I'm looking at the 13" Macbook Pro for $1299, but should I go with the higher-end one with a higher GHz (Whatever that is?!) And should I upgrade my RAM (Whatever that does?!)

I really have no idea what those things do and how they'd benefit me, so please feel free to give your honest opinion and help me! :)

Thank-you.

And also, what does Airport Express thing do!? Does it make a new network connection, or just expand it?

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I've got the 13" MBP and am coming from a 15 Powerbook. I really love this computer and dont miss the big screen one bit. The size and weight are perfect for a portable. The aluminum casing feels solid at this size, unlike the larger models that have a little bit of flex in the bottom plates. Just an all around great machine IMO.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've got the 13" MBP and am coming from a 15 Powerbook. I really love this computer and dont miss the big screen one bit. The size and weight are perfect for a portable. The aluminum casing feels solid at this size, unlike the larger models that have a little bit of flex in the bottom plates. Just an all around great machine IMO.
Yes and sometimes you get great deals on the refurb 13" MBP at the Apple Store Canada.

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
I would go with the MBP as it has a FireWire port. Much better than USB when connecting external drives.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
as with most things computer, get the most you can swing financially, which means the pro over the macbook. plus the firewire port will give you added flexibility (you can use a fw input device like the presonus firebox). which pro is more a matter of screen size. keep in mind the macbook pros are probably going to be updated soon, maybe even this week with the newest intel core ix processors which will be a step up...

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
As previously posted, refurb units are a great way to get more bang for your buck. My 13" is a refurb and I'll never buy anything but refurb again!

Also, the MBP is a great model but you could also consider the unibody macbook which shows up on the refurb site occasionally. If you have a need for simultaneous audio in AND out, it may be a better choice. It is essentially the same machine but doesn't have the back lit KB, internal battery, or the better screen (I cant see a difference), and is only $50 cheaper, so unless the audio input is important to you go with the MBP.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would agree with the posters above.. refurbs by apple are a great money saver and are almost always in perfect condition.. good luck!

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Hey guys! Just wanted to know the difference between a refurbed mac and a brand new one? Are the diffferences even noticeable?
The new one ships in a printed box. The refurb one ships in a plain box.

Apart from that, I've never found a difference.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
The new one ships in a printed box. The refurb one ships in a plain box.

Apart from that, I've never found a difference.
There is a very important difference and, with respect, it is not the colour of the box or, for that matter, even the price.

Olde tyme gearheads will remember when at the auto parts store we were offered a choice of 'new' or 'rebuilt' parts like starters, generators, carburetors.. Interestingly the price was often the same. Anyway, all my mentor gearheads steered towards the rebuilts on grounds that the main structure had been tested 'in battle' and had been thoroughly re-inspected as well as rebuilt (ie, commutators rewound, new bearings etc.). There was even a deposit on the part to encourage the return of the old one so it in turn could be tested and rebuilt. New came off an assembly line, rebuilt came from a repair shop. Nowadays, most used parts wind up in a dumpster. Gone is a whole layer of recycling, not to mention the jobs, trades crafts and businesses that supported it.

The same distinction applies to Macs, just read 'refurb' for 'rebuilt'. New comes off assembly line. It next sees light of day when the customer opens the box! Although there is obviously some quality control (perhaps more for Apple than other manufacturers) on the line, the customer is in fact the top layer of quality control - quite a common manufacturing approach these days bears in a big way on the discussion in the Do they even make reliable quality products anymore? thread. Any machines that fail this level are returned to Apple and placed in the hands of some of Apple's top technicians and completely gone through by hand - refurbished. New=assembly line built / refurb=(arguably) crafstman tuned.

Thus refurbs are quite literally better than new and, bonus, for a lower price :clap: - go figure!

Another potential benefit of the refurb store is that it is a source of new copies of non-current machines. Occasionally there is a 'sweet' model that turns out to be seemingly more reliable or has interesting features, for example Firewire in a MacBook, that one wishes one had bought but is no longer available in stores but can be had warranted as new and at very favourable pricing from the refurb store. Check the MacBook refurbs and you will see black and aluminum models available.

To some degree this discussion bears on the thesis of Matthew Crawford's (a PhD philosopher who repairs motorcycles for a living) book Shop Class as Soulcraft, an Inquiry into the Value of [Hand] Work which is a highly recommended read.

My next (and future) Mac(s) will come from the refurb shop. Sometimes a little patience is required (and a readiness to jump! ;)) to get the "right" model but then as gra'ma said - 'good things come to those who wait'. :D This is a lesson that has been a long in the learning for me but I think I am finally over my 'early adopter' phase.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts