Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

All attempts to get my old 2005 mini working have failed. It’s just time to buy a new one.

3.6GHz quad core i3 or 3.2GHz 6 core i7

In terms of future use, and ability to run future OSX’s without issue, would the i7 be the better bet? Or is software irrelevant when it comes to cores?

My usage: computer will have one task. Processing mortgage applications 90% of the time, 5% word processing and 5% web surfing.

Is the i7 overkill?

I’ll be leaving the ram as is at 8GB. As for the SSD, I’m thinking 512. For those people who have the 128GB drive have you found it to be limiting? Did an external drive solve the memory issue? When installing apps do they not need to be installed on the internal SSD? Or can they be fully installed and run off an external?

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

·
Registered
174 Posts
MacMini

I just looked at the Apple website to make sure this is accurate. Yes, i7.

I use my MacMini as a media server, so go with the bottom specs. Still has HDMI & USB but only one port (stupid, stupid Apple!).

When the warranty expired I put in a 5TB Seagate Barracuda HDD.

For what you're doing, I think even 128GB SSD is adequate. Use a 5TB Seagate external HDD, partitioned the way you want it.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
The i7 might be overkill right now, but it will last you longer than an i5. So instead of being fed up in 6-7 years, you'll be irritated in 10-12 years. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts