Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered my new iPad.

Has anybody done a good comparison of the Bell and Rogers plan to see which one is robbing us less?

·
tilting at windmills
3,667 Posts
Notice how Rogers is the only one offering a monthly plan. The others offer a 30-day plan, meaning they can get one more payment from us per year for a slightly lower amount! Clever!

Cheers

·
Registered
264 Posts
Notice how Rogers is the only one offering a monthly plan. The others offer a 30-day plan, meaning they can get one more payment from us per year for a slightly lower amount! Clever!

Cheers
You are right, I didn't think of that. So you have to pay 12.17 (365 days / 30) times per year which will work out to only $6 more per year, but still.

·
tilting at windmills
3,667 Posts
You are right, I didn't think of that. So you have to pay 12.17 (365 days / 30) times per year which will work out to only $6 more per year, but still.
Well, it's not about the money (yet), it's the principle of the thing. I am amazed at how creative companies get with their greed and resultant gouging.

It has started now with data; but how long would it be before they realise what a cash cow this is and starting doing the same for voice plans, for land-lines, for cable TV, for your hydro etc.?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Well, it's not about the money (yet), it's the principle of the thing. I am amazed at how creative companies get with their greed and resultant gouging.

It has started now with data; but how long would it be before they realise what a cash cow this is and starting doing the same for voice plans, for land-lines, for cable TV, for your hydro etc.?

Cheers
One way of looking at it. Another way would be to hear the whiners who say "why should I pay the same for February as I do for January and March? I've got 3 less days in February so it should be cheaper.

It's also much easier for billing. You start on the 8th of the month, you get a bill every 30 days. If you look at most Rogers (or Cogeco for cable/internet in my neck of the woods), if you start your service in the middle of a billing cycle, they always pro rate the first partial month. My guess is if you did the finite math, you were probably getting ripped off there too.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Just ordered my new iPad.

Has anybody done a good comparison of the Bell and Rogers plan to see which one is robbing us less?
If you have an iPhone, why not just continue to tether it?

I've ordered a 4G version, only so I can add an AT&T card when I travel to the US for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
990 Posts
What a surprise? Given that there is no collusion between the big carriers, it's a bit of a miracle that their plans are EXACTLY the same! Hallelujah!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Er... no, I would get the bill on the 8th of every month, not every 30 days. There is a difference.

Cheers
Few if any carriers will bill you on the 8th. The first bill will contain a pro rated amount to get you to the end of their billing cycle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What about the variable plans and the hotspots?
Do they both offer?

·
Registered
241 Posts

Cheers
Yes ... that's a Robbers (rogers) way to go.

They ALL offer the same "month to month" plan. Rogers pricing quoted above is NOT accurate as they charge more for LTE data capable devices - their billing system tied to their switch has a record of IMEI's (phones - maybe iPad can bypass this) for LTE data access. If not put on the correct plan or SOC (service order code) then you just get top end HSPA.

I'm unsure if Rogers offers DC-HSPA+ .... but both Telus and Bell do (they share networks) and THAT maybe just as close to LTE speeds as you can enjoy.

Contracts are NEVER a good thing. I still don't understand why not have wlan tethering from your choice of high-end smartphone capable of decent data speeds to the iPad over wlan; not really a need for two accounts ...unless your phone will not be with you at all times when using the iPad or out of your abode.

·
Registered
220 Posts
What about data sharing plans?

Rogers currently lists something like $11 to add an extra device to an existing data plan. And I read that Telus offered something similar but only for 2 weeks after the iPad 2 was released.

Since I'm on Telus and I already have a 5 GB plan, it would be nice to have a $11 data sharing add-on option.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts