Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'd like to buy a laptop for my niece as she is off to University.

but, MacBook Air? or MacBook Pro?

13" or 14"

She's in first year doing neuroscience and psychology if that matters.

Also, I need the Mac to have MS Office. All I see online are subscriptions and I'm not interested in a subscription. Can these apps come pre-installed?

Thank you so much

Any suggestions would be welcome.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
For general use, you'd be much better off getting a good PC laptop and avoiding all the short and long term hassles and expense with Apple gear. The "New" Apple is all about a 3 year lifecycle churn of shiny objects with forced obsolescence. Just get a high end used Dell, and it should be good to go for 10 years without too much fuss or bother.

·
Administrator
236 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'd like to buy a laptop for my niece as she is off to University.

but, MacBook Air? or MacBook Pro?

13" or 14"

She's in first year doing neuroscience and psychology if that matters.

Also, I need the Mac to have MS Office. All I see online are subscriptions and I'm not interested in a subscription. Can these apps come pre-installed?

Thank you so much

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Since you asked about the Apple products, I will respond to your actual question. I found this article recently. I’m in the same boat. Trying to decide between the Air or Pro, for my son attending university in the fall. So far I haven’t made up my mind yet. I am leaving towards the Air because of the cheaper price. The Air has similar specs to the 13” Pro, but at a cheaper price.

·
Administrator
236 Posts
The "New" Apple is all about a 3 year lifecycle churn of shiny objects with forced obsolescence. Just get a high end used Dell, and it should be good to go for 10 years without too much fuss or bother.
Can you tell us your source for this? Or is this just something you made up? All of my research, in 2022, states the opposite. The MacBooks last longer than PC’s. I’ve had a lot of different laptop brands in the past, and the majority of them did not last much longer than 3-4 years. My wife’s MacBook Pro is coming up to 6 years old and it still runs great.

·
Premium Member
31,035 Posts
For general use, you'd be much better off getting a good PC laptop and avoiding all the short and long term hassles and expense with Apple gear. The "New" Apple is all about a 3 year lifecycle churn of shiny objects with forced obsolescence. Just get a high end used Dell, and it should be good to go for 10 years without too much fuss or bother.
do you actually own a Mac or just a shill for Windoz?

There is no "forced obsolence" ....technology moves on yet we still have clients nursing along 10 year old machines that are running fine.
It's more the changing standards in networking, internet and video standards and changes in applications that applies to ALL OS that is pushing new machines and people are voting with their dollars....regardless of your unsupported claim.

The MacBook outgrew most of the PC market in the fourth ...
https://www.imore.com › News

Jan 31, 2022 — The MacBook business grew by 11% year over year in the fourth quarter of 2021. Apple reportedly shipped 6.6 million MacBooks in the quarter.

Reactions: Vader101

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
Many universities offer Office to students for free as part of their IT setup. it also includes OneDrive so you just need to focus on the hardware. Don't forget that students also get Education discounts on hardware. You can get that before joining University by using the school or college credentials. I would opt for anything with an M processor: this will guarantee god performance throughout her studies. I tend to max memory and HD when I can as this has a bearing on the machine slowing down whereas the processor makes little difference within the same family.

Reactions: MacDoc

·
Premium Member
31,035 Posts
Good advice except skip the RAM and put extra funds into drive space and for sure into Applecare+

·
Registered
68 Posts
As I type this response from my 10 year old MacBook Pro that has been upgraded to an SSD I have to respectfully disagree.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts