Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I've had a Powerbook and now a MacBook and I find I don't have to be as gentle with the MacBook. Not sure if that answers your question.
Agreed, I've had two Al. powerbooks, two iBooks, and now a black macbook. I had to be far more gentle with the aluminum cases compared to the plastic. The powerbooks are very sensitive to bumps (aluminum cases dent very easily) while the plastic cases on the iBooks and now macbooks are much more durable.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
MacBooks/iBooks are way more durable.

The MacBook Pros/PowerBooks just look nicer and the aluminum helps dissipate more heat. Problem is, aluminium is a malleable material.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Having all of them at one point, I also agree, you gotta be more careful with the Macbook Pro's. Dents and scratches much easier. Macbook is smaller so it feels more solid when you are holding with one hand. As well, the Pro has the annoying locking hinge when you close the notebook. I wish the Pro had the same design for closing the lid as the Macbook.
Those things aside, I am also more paranoid of breaking a $3000 machine than a $1500 one.

·
Registered
543 Posts
As the title asks...which one is better able to handle the bumps and drops of an out-and-about lifestyle?
If you don't mind the Fisherprice look, the MacBook's plastic case is much more resistant and scratches don't show.

·
Registered
213 Posts
three words for you...... GET A DELL

love;;;
davidslegend's kid
Three things wrong with this:

1) Dell is not cool.

2) Dell is nowhere near the quality standards of a Mac.

3) Windows sucks.

In my opinion I am going to say the MacBook would be more resistant to scratches/bumps. However for drops the MacBook Pro would be the winner because the enclosure would not crack like plastic does, it would dent so you in most cases could hammer the dent out.

·
Mac Addict
100 Posts
I'd say the MacBook as well. I've had a PowerBook and two MacBook Pros and I was always quite gentle with them. In contrast, I treated my white MacBook like total **** and the thing still looked brand new when I sold it - they sure can take a beating (maybe the black one a little less since it's painted).

·
Premium Member
17,999 Posts
However for drops the MacBook Pro would be the winner because the enclosure would not crack like plastic does, it would dent so you in most cases could hammer the dent out.
I gotta disagree. "Hammer the dent out" would mean, in the cases I've seen, a complete disassembly of the laptop, which is beyond the ability of most users to successfully accomplish.

MacBook all the way - there's quite a bit of flex in that polycarbonate! Given the number of bumps (but thankfully, not drops) mine has had in the past year, a MacBook Pro with a similar life history would be significantly scarred.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I gotta disagree. "Hammer the dent out" would mean, in the cases I've seen, a complete disassembly of the laptop, which is beyond the ability of most users to successfully accomplish.

MacBook all the way - there's quite a bit of flex in that polycarbonate! Given the number of bumps (but thankfully, not drops) mine has had in the past year, a MacBook Pro with a similar life history would be significantly scarred.
hmmm... now that I think about it you are absolutely right (no sarcasm intended) :)

I forgot Apple uses the impact resistant polycarbonate :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts