Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which machine is better and why? an Ibook 500 mhz (late 2001 model) or a Powerbook Pismo 400 or 500?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
No doubt.

Using/getting a Pismo esp certain 3rd party parts may take a little research to work out (like combo - tons out there, just have to ask which ones work), but for the most part, you will be pleased. Pismo has a bunch of upgradEs paths including the chip, and most recently a couple high mhz G3 chips (800 & 900). The G4 is still there and has worked quite well over the years. Just make sure that you get one with a decent batt and screen. The batt that around here is more costly than a TiBook batt (bummer).

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
In addition regarding the Pismo, Watch out for pink screens.
Also, The Pismo can use parts from a
Lombard.

I hope to upgrade to a Pismo in the near future
from my Lombard and take my media bay
extras with me.

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
762 Posts
The differences are:
iBook -Max ram on 1 slot 640MB, 12.1 screen, 2-USB, 1 firewire, 256k L2 cache @ 1:1 on chip

Pismo - 2 slot 1 GB max, 14.1 screen, S-Video out, 2- USB, 2 firewire, PCMCIA Type I and II card slot, infrared, 1 MB L2 cache @ 5:2 backside (about half slower but 4 times the cache)

Other than that they're pretty close. If it was my choice, Pismo because of the extra Firewire port, 1 gig of ram, bigger screen, expansion bays that you can have and extra battery, combo drive, HD, Zip drives etc.

:D

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Pinkness of the screen fades as the LCD warms up.

I Love My Pismo.

But I would love a (yet to be anounced) 15.4" AlBook more.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
What do you need it for? If you are on the road a lot the iBook is lighter and easier to pack, the Pismo, while lighter than a 14" iBook, is a little bit large.

Also, the extra firewire port is great and all, but the iBook has a newer firewire controller and it's single port can sustain more data transfer than the Pismo's 2 combined. Also, a lot of devices (such as FW hard drives) have two firewire ports on them and can be daisy chained together.

Really though, when you are talking about the first rev. of the ice iBooks vs the Pismo, it is a tougher choice than if the iBook was newer.

--PB

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Pinkness of the screen fades as the LCD warms up.

Really?
I was mislead to believe it was permanent.
Shoot...I was worried about buying a pink Mac,
So I settled for a Lombard instead.
Oh well, I like my Lombard anyways.

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
dolawren, type pink in the search field of the discussions folder under apples support page.
Most say that as the pb warms up, it fades a bit, but it can also grow and cover more of the screen as time goes by. It is due to faulty lcd panels used. A problem that worsens, by many accounts, and one to look for when getting a pismo.
Other than that and the squishy keyboard, loved typing on a wallstreet, the pismo is one of the best pb's apple ever made.
Robert

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have a Lombard and just bought a Pismo. The so called Pink screen lasts only about 20 seconds when the screen turns on after being off for some time. The Lombard was the same, but more yellowish.

I also love my Pismo

Lombard will be on sale soon G3 333, 512MB ram, 4 GB HD, 2 hr battery, CD rom, extra for DVD rom and video PC card. As soon as the Pismo is upgraded to the Powerlogix G3 900Mhz :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just upgraded froma 6360 to a pismo. It's fantastic and I don't know how I managed before I had a laptop.

My only quibble is that the little rubber feet have come off and now it slides around abit.

Any suggestions?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts