Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using an iPhone 5 (!) and it's almost dead so time for an upgrade! It's lasted 5 years so I'm happy to know I sucked up every bit I could out of its life.

Two questions:

1) Is it realistic to expect a newer iPhone to last as long as previous ones considering any technological advances, Apple trying to make people buy new phones sooner than before, etc.)?

2) If the above is true, which iPhone can last me 5 years?

The SE is two processor upgrades behind so that's out of the picture.

The iPhone 7 is only one upgrade behind the new iPhone 8.

Do I really need to spend $1k for the iPhone 8 mainly for the processor (because all other upgrades aren't that important to me)?? Can I get away with the iPhone 7???

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I don't think the processor is that huge a difference, at least not unless you go to the 8 Plus. The display for the 8 is definitely better than the 7. If neither of those matter to you, the 7 should be fine. I didn't see much in the keynote that urged me to upgrade from a 7, personally.

Now keep in mind; you want to get 5 years from your phone, but the 7 is already a year old. You may get 4 out of it.

·
Premium Member
42,489 Posts
My 4S is still kicking (slow) ass.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
I don't think the processor is that huge a difference, at least not unless you go to the 8 Plus. The display for the 8 is definitely better than the 7. If neither of those matter to you, the 7 should be fine. I didn't see much in the keynote that urged me to upgrade from a 7, personally.

Now keep in mind; you want to get 5 years from your phone, but the 7 is already a year old. You may get 4 out of it.
The processor is the same in the 8, 8 Plus, and X. The 8 Plus and X have 3GB of RAM, vs 2GB in the 8.

IMO, none of these will last 5 years. But standards differ. I couldn't keep using my iPhone 5 after 2 years because of how slow it felt.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
The processor is the same in the 8, 8 Plus, and X. The 8 Plus and X have 3GB of RAM, vs 2GB in the 8.
Yes but the portrait mode stuff requires the Bionic chip and the dual camera which is why I called out the difference; you need the 8 Plus for that. I was under the impression OP was not considering a Plus, I don't see a compelling reason for the 8 vs. a 7 except for speed and the display.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Define "last". It sounds like you take good physical care of your phone so it is almost certain that any currently available model will still be able to power-on in 5 years and do all the stuff it did when you first bought it.

But, we're on the cusp of a wave of augmented reality and artificial intelligence-powered changes. If you want your phone to be capable of fully exploiting all the latest and greatest apps, then you'll probably need to buy a new one each year.

Craig

·
Registered
87 Posts
My 4S is still kicking (slow) ass.
Mine too - and it has instructions to last quite a while longer!!!!
Although when I bought it - the battery seemed to have issues - so I had it replaced. I don't find the batteries are particularly dependable - so we keep it plugged in all the time unless we are on the road.....and I have a charger handy for it there as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts