Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I've bought myself an external Firewire enclosure and now I need to ask everyone here which HD they think would work best for me? Which ones have you tried and liked? Prices would also be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking at getting something in the 60-80gig range. My Mac is a Pismo Powerbook with a built-in 20gig drive.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Whatever size you get, get one that spins at 7200 RPM. I am under the impression you want this drive for cideo work, and for video work, anything less than 7200 RPM is unacceptable. At least that is what my video pro customers tell me.

Also look for cache size, 8MB is preferable, and seek times less than 10ns is a good thing as well.

--PB

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this something that your store could provide PB? If not, do you have any recommendations as to where I could buy one and at what cost?

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
What about USB ones? Are those any good? Obviously not as fast as FireWire, but are they good enough, stable, reliable --- the standard I mean, as opposed to the different name brands.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been using a 40GB Lacie Pocketdrive with my TiBook for the past month or so (absolutely loaded with MP3, docs, and a complete backup system) and have absolutely no complaints! It is tiny, quiet (a heck of a lot quieter than my internal 10GB), and as fast as I could want. Of course, I am not doing digital video, but in all other respects this is a beauty. I have bought a bunch of peripherals from Lacie and have always been happy. These guys are a Mac-godsend.

The other groovy thing is that it comes with two Firewire and one USB port, so I can zip over to my wife's iBook and plug it in and off I go. Faster and, unfortunately, easier than connecting over Airport :rolleyes:

Now some people might have had trouble with Lacie in the past, but I am one true believer. 5 different peripherals and not one dub--no service required ever over 4 years, that's quality to me. :D

Just my two cents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts