Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When ripping music into itunes, which format do you use, mp3, aiff, or acc? Especially for use with the ipod.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I save everything as AIFF and then convert to AAC later. I am an audio phreak so I am all for the quality. I hust use AAC for long term stoage on the ipod. Just in case I get a hankering to listen to something that I don't have on at AIFF.

I could really use a 40 gig ipod.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ok.. I'm going to ask a dumb question..

What's the difference between AIFF and AAC

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
the file size of AIFF is really big , mp3 is much smaller and AAC is even smaller.
ie 30mb. 3mb, 2.5mb
the quality is debatable, as there is some loss with compressing of file size, but not enough for the average Joe Machead to notice

·
Registered
401 Posts
I use MP3 on my iPod. Toying with the idea of converting everything to AAC but kinda worried about the drop in quality with the double conversion.

A 40 giger would be nice.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
AIFF is the Audio Interchange File Format; it's a cross-platform standard that represents a PCM digital file, which is another way of saying a digital audio file that isn't compressed.

All your CDs are AIFF files.

Microsoft, naturally, came up with WAV format which is also a PCM digital file; it only differs from AIFF just enough to be different.

However, any Windows app that can read CDs can read AIFF, even if they might not allow you to save in that format.

It does not stand for Apple Interchange File Format as some people might suggest. It's always been supported by every OS that can handle PCM audio, including UNIX, etc., and existed in the digital audio world long before there was a Macintosh.

It's the highest quality format available for digital audio; DVD-A and SACD are wrappers for an AIFF format file.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I encode in MP3 on iTunes for windows mainly because no other program besides iTunes reads MP3's or can burn them on CD (not that u need any other media player :D ), it's just nice to encode in MP3.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I encode in MP3 on iTunes for windows mainly because no other program besides iTunes reads MP3's or can burn them on CD (not that u need any other media player ), it's just nice to encode in MP3.
I think ekcondon meant AAC instead of Mp3 so the wording should have been:

I encode in MP3 on iTunes for windows mainly because no other program besides iTunes reads AAC's or can burn them on CD (not that u need any other media player ), it's just nice to encode in MP3.

Personally I encode in Mp3 because there were no AAC players on the PC, but now with iTunes, I shall slowly move towards AAC to save space, but haivng most of my CDs recently stolen, that makes that a little hard. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts