• Old Navy Swimsuit Commercial

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Bell "Solo" cell phone service

Votes: 4 30.8%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Personally, I find most, if not all commercials bothersome and offending. Thus, I put on mute and tend not to listen.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Personally, I find most, if not all commercials bothersome and offending. Thus, I put on mute and tend not to listen.
How offensive?

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I rarely watch tv at home, but I'm staying with my family at the moment and its all I have to do. :yawn:

Its too tricky for my grandparents to hit the mute button, so I'm stuck.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Lars, the commercials that make men look like fools around the house. I do most of the laundry and house cleaning here at our home, mainly because I work from home. However, just as I feel that commercials that stereotype women are offensive, I too find those that stereotype the man as a jerk around any supposed wife-centric chore as offensive.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm with you on this Dr G. :clap:

We disconnected cable last August and haven't missed it at all. We tend to watch a lot more movies and even then I find some of the ads are annoying.

Toronto has been inundated with advertising lately... a great deal of it illegal like the TT 'sculpture' and the huge wall banners.
I used to have some respect for ad agencies, now it seems they've going to the dogs.

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
I'm in the same boat as most of you here but have you seen the new Preparation H commercials? I thought the one where the guy is in bed with his butt up in the air the whole commercial with the logo comming up at the end of it was brilliant. The one where the guy is scooting on the floor while the dog is watching him in disgust is rather funny too.

I liked the old Viagara ones too, where they bleeped out what people were saying because it was too explicit. I don't know why the switched from this, the new ones where they speak gibberish suck.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Greenman, I must admit that I have Starchoice. My brother-in-law was a VP with Shaw, and he bought me a system for my birthday.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
I'm not a hunter but I would gladly commit Castoricide on any number of the Bell beavers...... :mad:

·
Registered
960 Posts
I get a kick out of the Geico 'caveman' commercials. I read somewhere that Fox (who else) is developing this idea into a sitcom. Generally, I tend to record what I want to watch and ffwd through the commercials.

·
Registered
281 Posts
We have these gawdawful radio ads,nothing more annoying than a snippet of a song. Give me the whole thing or don't bother.Keep on rocking in the free world, we will we will rock you, Panama! arrrrgh

·
Registered
744 Posts
There are two commercials I have seen lately that I can't get away from fast enough. One is for some sort of toilet paper or paper towel, where the little girl won't get off and goes over the price scanner. The other is the (I'm pretty sure Subway) commercial with the loonie and toonie talking. I cannot STAND the part where the toonie says "you'd have to be loonie".

A commercial I enjoy: One of the drink milk ones. Caveman opens pop bottle which wakes a couple dinosaurs. One of the dinosaurs burps after eating the caveman, which wakes up a bigger dinosaur.

Lately, when commercials start I mute the TV and turn on my iPod. It's interesting to see which commercials have closed-captioning.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Sometime last year, I gave up on cable, and decided just to get torrents on the shows that I watch.

Watched regular TV the other day for the Survivor Finale, and made three observations:

1. Quality of torrents far exceed the quality of the local cable provider.
2. TV without commercials is far more enjoyable
3. A 90 minute show was simulcast on both Global and CBS due to CRTC regulations. I counted FOUR different commercials (some repeated) during the entire broadcast, and countless station advertisements for shows airing in the future. Essentially, the CRTC is protecting a whole FOUR advertisers, meanwhile giving Global gobs of time to promote more of their news program and shows over two channels.

What commercials bother me more? The self-promoting 15 second advertisements that air eight times in 30 minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Sometime last year, I gave up on cable, and decided just to get torrents on the shows that I watch.

Watched regular TV the other day for the Survivor Finale, and made three observations:

3. A 90 minute show was simulcast on both Global and CBS due to CRTC regulations. I counted FOUR different commercials (some repeated) during the entire broadcast, and countless station advertisements for shows airing in the future. Essentially, the CRTC is protecting a whole FOUR advertisers, meanwhile giving Global gobs of time to promote more of their news program and shows over two channels.

What commercials bother me more? The self-promoting 15 second advertisements that air eight times in 30 minutes.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

I'm going to say this very very quietly, in case someone realizes what is going on but since buying an HD set and signing up with Cogeco's HD service, I watch almost everything in HD and so I am not subject to the simulcasting. I even got to watch the SuperBowl in HD on the US feed and see the US commercials.

The beavers annoyed me at first, but I've come to love them EXCEPT when they are repeated over and over again, especially within the same show.

The one ad that really annoys me right now is on radio, and it is those two airhead women who Sherway Gardens has been running for a couple of years now. I'm 100% male, but I would be up in arms if I was a female listening to those ads. Equality between the sexes has a long way to go still but those ads set it back 100 years.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
Old Navy ads irritate me more because I'm okay with the Bell ads. I'm far more bothered if I hear that effing, "Wouldn't it be nice" song again (reverse mortgage ads? I'm not sure due to repressed memories).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.