Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Where's Labrador in ehMac land?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  BigDL 
#1 ·
Not sure if this falls under the Mac category, but I have found in my hunt for a iBook/PB in ehMac Classifieds, there are many who have no clue where Labrador is. Just thought I'd point that out so all you users here at ehMac can possibly re-acquaint yourselves with this beuatiful land of Canada from West to East. Labrador is attached to the Eastern border of Quebec. Four hours later than Vancouver time, but yet, we, here in Goose Bay, aren't in Newfoundland time which is yet even a half hour more.

#2 ·
So how is this Mac related? ;)

I'd wager it has to do with people who are not familiar with the (most) eastern provinces and probably know it only as Newfoundland. Or just don't care.

I still find it amusing when some Newfies* make it a point that the proper name of the province Newfoundland AND Labrador. It's almost as if excluding Labrador from the name would offend that particular land mass.

* Before somebody gets all hot about me referring to Newfoundlanders as Newfies--I have very close friends who are all born and bred 'landers from the rock who refer to each other as well as themselves as Newfies and have no problem wearing that label of distinction with pride.

#4 ·
Just like you've probably heard from others, I suggest you spend most of your time sitting and just talking to the Newfoundlanders while you're there. Newfoundlanders are a wonderful bunch of people.
I love the Ottawa Valley, but I think Canada (and the world!) needs more Newfoundland.

#5 ·
Labrador is attached to the Eastern border of Quebec. Four hours later than Vancouver time, but yet, we, here in Goose Bay, aren't in Newfoundland time which is yet even a half hour more.
All these years CBC has told us that you are 3.5 hours ahead of Vancouver. Learn something everyday. :D

Does this also mean, someone has found the Canadian identity and not informed the brass at CBC? :D

#9 ·
The island portion of the province is -3.5 from Greenwich Mean Time, perhaps somebody got confused there. The thing that bugs me is that half the software developing world doesn't even know that NST/NDT is a timezone....Facebook for example has no idea that it exists. AST/ADT always managed to appear.

I disagree with the idea that "most of the island" should be on Atlantic time. Looking at the curvature of the earth and the positioning of the island, it doesn't seem proper to me to have the same time as New Brunswick.

D

#7 ·
Interesting that you and I are in the Atlantic Time Zone. Most of the Island portion of your Province and Labrador should also reside in the Atlantic Time Zone. The small portion of the Island mainly the Avalon Peninsula containing the Capital should command an entire time zone for the whole island and part of the Coast of Labrador.

But we all know them townies. ;)

#10 ·
Rondini- We have driven the Trans Lab Hwy twice so far since moving down from Nain (on the Coast) in 2002. We are now getting prepared to drive it for the third time. Basically, it is 16 hours on gravel road. We always find it kind of stressful expecting flat tires, cracked glass, both front and back since we pull a small trailer, and general increased wear-and-tear on the vehicle. We are supposed to have 80 km (40 on Lab City end and 40 on this end) of the road chip sealed this year, but we are skeptical. There is a 7-year plan in place to complete it. We would enjoy driving out of here once it is complete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.