Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm need to get some sort of handheld in the next couple of weeks and I was hoping that iSync (with its compatibility list) would be out in time to make that decision a bit easier. Apple said September so they've still got a few days but even the rumour sites have been quiet about it.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I have been wondering about this myself! Let me know if you find anything out!

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
i sync it'll be released today or Monday. The Apple-Bluetooth list has been buzzing and Stevie $49million did say at Le Expo Paris dat it would be out by ze end of the month. Eff course, the Jobs RDF may extend September in So Cal to around mid December east of the San Andreas faultline.

As for PDA connectivity, i also sync that it will work with the Palm/Handspring conduits (ze latter of which were actually released for OS X zis veek).

Me, I vant vun eff those zexy T68i phones, jah!

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Just tested it... Synced up with my iPod no problems... Interface is pretty cool. Adding my iPod "Device" to the iSync interface could of been easier.. I had to go to the device menu and click add, it saw the iPod but I had to read a little footnote to double click the iPod. One that was done, it was good.

Syncing with .Mac was really sweet too. Tried it with two machines... Apple Rocks.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
With iSync and .Mac you can sync your address book across every Mac you use. This alone makes iSync worthwhile (not to mention .Mac). Way cool. Do it once, do it right.

I even found a place that sells T68i's in Toronto (but still pricey....).

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Jeez, I wish iCal was as polished as the iSync "beta". This is one cool app. My long abandoned Handspring is back in service thanks to the seamless syncing. It was simply too much hassle to deal with three way syncing and my Visor was always out of date or conflicting with my other info. Now everyone is on the same page.

A couple of things: the first iSync run takes ages if you've lots of info. If you have Now-Up-To-Date installed, it gets autosynced unless you mark its conduit as "Do Nothing" in the settings. iSync seems to be the coordinator but relies on the Palm Sync manager for the actual transfers.

iSync visual feedback is good but sometimes it just looks as if its locked up. Be patient, its working.

I couldn't work out what info gets synced to .Mac. I assume its Addressbook and iCal.

All in all, very cool and a great example of making things "just work".

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
jwoodget, what service does the T68i work with in Toronto... does it go on the Fido network? What were they sellilng it for? Me's got to get one of those!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by used to be jwoodget:
i sync it'll be released today or Monday. The Apple-Bluetooth list has been buzzing and Stevie $49million did say at Le Expo Paris dat it would be out by ze end of the month. Eff course, the Jobs RDF may extend September in So Cal to around mid December east of the San Andreas faultline.

As for PDA connectivity, i also sync that it will work with the Palm/Handspring conduits (ze latter of which were actually released for OS X zis veek).

Me, I vant vun eff those zexy T68i phones, jah!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This would be the "iSync, zzerefore I am" philosophy I'm guessing ;).

Well it sounds like iSync works fine with Clie's so all I've got to do is round up some cash and go buy one. Good thing it's my birthday on Tuesday

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
The T68i will work on any GSM providers network (in Canada that's Fido or Rogers AT&T). The problem is that neither "support it" and so you have to buy at full price (unlocked). Considering this world phone is virtually free with service sign up in the UK, Europe (and even some parts of the US via Amazon.com) and has been available in Europe for over 10 months, the Canadian situation is typically sloth-like. We do get cheap rates but the phones currently on offer are at least one generation behind Europe. For example, I believe there is only one Bluetooth enabled GSM phone available in Canada (a Motorola Timeport). It, of course, is incompatible with iSync.

There's a place in Toronto, Lennox Paging, that's on Bloor, just east of Yonge, that sells the T68i for about $700 or so.

Lennox Paging
Phone: (416)922-9033
23 Bloor Street East, Toronto, ON M4W 1A9

Am saving my pennies and hoping by the time I can afford one, the price will have come down.

It's a neat phone, triband, SMS, GPRS, WAP, BlueTooth, colour display, etc., plus it supposedly integrates completely with OS 10.2. For example, if you have the Bluetooth USB adaptor active and activate the Bluetooth icon on the addressbook app (it only appears when the adaptor is active), and you've paired with your phone, then incoming calls pop up on the Mac's screen with the caller info and you can choose to take the call or divert to the message centre. You can SMS directly from your mac without touching the phone. Liquid Nitrogen cool. Oh, and iSync syncs iCal with the phone's calendar and address book over bluetooth. And, with a Bluetooth hands-free headset you're more Borg than human

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
$700! :eek:

Yeah, I've been investigating the phone a lot ever since July keynote. If I can sign up for a plan and pay like $250 for the phone, I'd get it... I think Fido will be the first to offer it as they're the first to offer the Sony Ericcson T200 in Canada.

Alas, maybe by Christmas. Or maybe we'll see an iPhone by then.
:rolleyes:

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
FWIW, I've spoken to both Fido and Rogers reps. Both claimed that they had no plans for the T68i. I'd have thought it was in Fido's best interests to be innovative. T68i users are likely to run up much higher billable items. There again, Fido seems to be a few months ahead of Nortel in its death spiral.

There are quite a few T68i's going on eBay too...

·
Registered
5 Posts
This isync/phone issue is rather complicated. I am in the market for a new phone and have discovered that Rogers AT&T (Victoria, BC) will be recieving the T68i within the month for approx $329 canadian on a two year plan and $50 mail in rebate (564.99 normally). Other bluetooth phones include some Nokia's (6310inokia 6310i) at $189 on a two year plan and $50 mail in rebate. The Nokia is not supported yet by isync and may never be as it uses SyncML not irMC syncing software. Also, there has been no breakthroughs with non-bluetooth phones (ie USB or infra-red data transfer).

I guess that is why it is considered a beta.

My frustration lies in the fact that I can't forsee what companies will be included in isync compatibility. Strictly speeking, this is not really a feedback thing, so I can't call up Apple and ask what is going on!

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

nick

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nicholas Stanger:
This isync/phone issue is rather complicated. I am in the market for a new phone and have discovered that Rogers AT&T (Victoria, BC) will be recieving the T68i within the month for approx $329 canadian on a two year plan and $50 mail in rebate (564.99 normally). Other bluetooth phones include some Nokia's (6310inokia 6310i) at $189 on a two year plan and $50 mail in rebate. The Nokia is not supported yet by isync and may never be as it uses SyncML not irMC syncing software. Also, there has been no breakthroughs with non-bluetooth phones (ie USB or infra-red data transfer).

I guess that is why it is considered a beta.

My frustration lies in the fact that I can't forsee what companies will be included in isync compatibility. Strictly speeking, this is not really a feedback thing, so I can't call up Apple and ask what is going on!

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

nick
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to clear a few things up, iSync is based around the open standard of SyncML, and any phone that supports SyncML via BlueTooth will be able to sync to your Mac via iSync and a bluetooth adapter.
At least that is what Steve said.
--PB

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
According to Apple's site, there are only four supported phones:

Sony Ericsson T68i
Ericsson T68
Ericsson T39
Ericsson R520

That said, because SyncML is an open standard, it should be fairly easy to support pretty much every other phone that can use SyncML over bluetooth. It will depend on Apple's relationship with the other companies though, as it always does.

--PB

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Just spent 30 mins playing with a T68i at a store near to the Houston AppleStore. This is one neat phone with a terrific interface! I think I'm just going to have to put down the pennies.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts