Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Font folders all over the place so I would like to know where I am supposed to install a new font.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
I see Font folders all over the place so I would like to know where I am supposed to install a new font.
Depends on where you want the font to be available. Normally, you would likely want the font to be usable by all users of the computer, so install it in the Fonts folder in the Library folder at the root of your OS X installation.

If you want to keep the font all to yourself, install it in the Fonts folder in the Library folder of your own user account. Other users also have Fonts folders in their own accounts.

If it's a font that has to be available to Classic or OS 9 applications, put it in the Fonts folder inside the System folder of your OS 9 installation - OS X will be able to find it there as well. Note that such fonts have to be kinds that OS 9 recognizes - TrueType or PostScript - not the special OS X font formats.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Registered
160 Posts
Also, one thing that a lot of people don't know about OS X is that you can use PC .TTF TrueType fonts right in OS X without any need for conversion. Just drag the .TTF files into one of your font folders and you're ready to go.

I am surprised Apple hasn't let more people know this, especially with the switcher campaign.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.