Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I am a full-time student in Montreal, Canada.

I am eligible for educational discount(s).

I would like to purchase a new 12" 1ghz Powerbook.

Where and how, is the most inexpensive way, be it online shipped to my home, or in person either in Montreal or online?

Thanks so much.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
You could check your local University or College's store (some sells Macs -- like Algonquin College in Ottawa). If you're a High School student, call them to see if you're allowed to purchase as a student (they may not sell to students outside their campus where Educational discounts are concerned -- just for precaution's sake).

You could also buy from the Apple Education Store:

http://www.apple.com/ca/education/edroutingpage/index.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I guess I wasn't clear in my original question.

Even with the education discount, is it cheaper to buy it in a province with a lower sales tax and have it shipped here?

What about buying in the states?

What about online vendors with specials, such as Amazon?

Has anyone found any worthwhile deals whose savings surpass the education discount?

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
838 Posts
You only pay GST, no PST if you buy from Apple.

Apple.com will not ship to you, but apple.com/ca will.

Apple Canada doesn't charge for basic shipping. Check other websites for their shipping charges to Canada, I believe amazon.com charges shipping if you're not in US.

Most of this info is available on their respective websites if you did 5 minutes of research.

If you buy it online with your education discount, you save on the PST which you would have to pay if you bought in your province.

vince

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi 'Vince,'

Notwithstanding your snarky comment that "Most of this info is available on their respective websites if you did 5 minutes of research," thanks for taking the time to reply.

Info. of any sort is almost always available with research.

But that's part of the allure of a board like this: maybe someone has a hot tip, or info. contrary to accepted wisdom.

That said, I'll monitor your posts, and aim to duplicate your research rigor.

MacGruff

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Just a thought, but when I bought my g4 ibook, I bought it at my school who just became Apple Authorized Reseller, and
They actually gave me the EDU plus 10 percent,, sio I was able to get a g4 iBOOK with an upgraded HD for about 25 bucks less then the stock model EDU..

Although he did coincide they didnt have much of a mark-up before that.. He said Apple was not cheap for retailers.

·
Registered
150 Posts
As stated above, try the university stores. I bought from McGill in my student days.

Buying from the USA is attractive on price, but consider the shipping and beware the customs clearance charges. If you have access to a car and don't mind a drive in the country, I once bought a Mac from Small Dog and went to Vermont to pick it up at their warehouse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts