Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey boys and girls,

I'm looking for a place outside or around Toronto that I can go visit for a couple of hours on a nice weekend some time in May or June. Like a park with walking trails, waterfalls, you know, that "kind of thing." Preferably within a 100 KM distance from Toronto, and not near 'city life.' (peace and quiet.) If the place is really good, I'll be willing to drive even further out. First time I'll be going out and exploring outside the GTA. ;)

Thanks. :)

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
If you haven't done so yet check out Niagara's wineries, there are a lot of bike trails and such as well. You migh enjoy the Vineland area, around Balls Falls (I kid you not). Get your picture by the sign, I'm sure friends back home would get a good laugh at it. Seriously though, anywhere along the Niagara Escarpment is nice, check it out.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey Jumbo - do you have any specific winery tours that you can recommend? P.S., we went to Ball's falls 2 summers ago during the drought. Unfortunately, it was so dry that Mr. Balls' falls were nothing more than a wee trickle, but the scenery was very nice indeed.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Sure, I would stay away from the smaller ones, you'll be quite disapointed, it seems like anyone can open a winery from their garage now.

Vineland Estates, is quite picturesque, and a great place to eat (lunch is affordable, dinner is quite expensive). Others I would include are Cave Springs, Inniskillen, Chateau des Charmes, Hillebrand Estates Winery, Jackson-Triggs and Peninsula Ridge are all good. But after seeing these, others will pale in comparison.

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
For a couple of hours, what about in city?

Toronto Islands comes to mind.

So does the whole chain of parks around Taylor Creek, Sunnybrook, Wilket Creek, Edwards Gardens, etc. Green space, walking trails, small waterfalls (though water levels are VERY low this year)--I was out there last week, and I even saw a deer.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
The Niagara Parkway and the trail down to the Niagara gorge is a wonderful day trip that time of year.

I'll second the Toronto Islands but they may not be in full regalia in early May - June for sure tho

Niagara region tends to get going a bit faster.

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
I forgot about the Parkway, very nice, even though I lived and worked there half my life I'm still in ah everytime I see the falls. I know a nice B&B that is really close to the fall that I've done some work for, I might be able to set you up for a good price if you're interested.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Belfountain looks particularly interesting in terms of beauty and things to look at. Definitely taking my camera. :)

Keep the suggestions and ideas coming...

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
I second Belfountain. My dad use to live in Erin which is about a 5 min drive from Belfountain and I would always go into town and spend some quality time there and it being the entrance to the forks of the credit was nice.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Third on Belfountain. Haven't been there since the 80s but it remains a lovely memory of a perfect little town. Erin's cool too... one of my colleagues at work lives out that way. Beautiful country.

·
Registered
311 Posts
As others have mentioned, Forks of the Credit and Belfountain are really nice. If you're in that area check out the Cheltenham Badlands in Cheltenham. Bring a camera for sure.

·
Premium Member
10,404 Posts
A place that people forget about right in Toronto is Casa Loma. I havn't been there in years but I still remember it as a few pleasant hours of beauty and history.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.