Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I am on a 2009 Mac Pro Tower 8 core and need to use IE specifically couple times a week. Most of the links in google go to weird stuff. Where can I get the last version - not running virtual machine on this.

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
You can't run IE on a Mac outside a virtual machine or boot camp. There was an OLD version of IE for mac but i'm not sure that still works anymore...esp in Lion.

Are you sure you need IE? You can change the user agent in Safari to mimic IE and that sometimes works or try FireFox or Chrome.

If you really do need IE then you'll either have to install Windows (either virtual or Bootcamp), use remote desktop to connect to a windows box or buy a cheap windows machine and use that.

Another alternative is to use IE6 in Crossover

·
Bald by choice
9,055 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am on a 2009 Mac Pro Tower 8 core and need to use IE specifically couple times a week. Most of the links in google go to weird stuff. Where can I get the last version - not running virtual machine on this.
Here is a link,
hasn't been updated since 2003 and is for PPC Macs only.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
You can run it on Snow Leopard through Rosetta.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
try opera, sometimes that works for me

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
You can also use Safari's "Developer" mode to trick websites into thinking you are running IE, and in many cases that works fine.

There's a couple of distributor websites that insist on being browsed from IE. I use that method, and than the website works fine.

To use the developer mode, go to Safari Preferences --> Advanced --> Check "Show Develop menu in menu bar". See screen shot attached.

You'll then have a "Develop" menu in your Safari menus. See screen shot attached.

Go to Develop --> User Agent --> Then pick your flavour of IE. (I usually just select the highest version)

The page will refresh, and the site you are visiting will think you're using IE, and very good chance it will work. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SINC - this worked - it was exactly what i needed to make changes on a website with older software. Thanks guys!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out for you. I am a bit of a software pack rat. I still have every retail disk for 10.0 through 10.6 in one box. Not sure what I will ever do with them, nor why I keep them. Oh well, at times like this it pays off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts