Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I am in dire need of silver coloured blank mini CD-R's. But everywhere I go, be it Best Buy, Future Shop, or Staples, I am greeted buy hideous florescent coloured CD-R's that I can't use!

I feel my only option is to purchase them from a U.S. online retailer, but I'm worried about getting a tax slapped on them due to our levy on blank recordable media.

I'm in Toronto...can anyone help me out?

Please, and thank you :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
CCBC on King just east of Spadina. All kinds of Media.Cheap.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Recordable media levies are not applied at retail, nor are end-users (the buying public) required to pay them. You can import all you want, no levies will be added at the border.

You are probably confused by the actions of some retailers who claim to be in a lobbying effort to have the levies removed.

However, this is just a marketing ploy; when a retailer (for example London Drugs) adds the levy as a separate line item on your recipt, they are simply attempting to gain a competitive advantage in local advertised prices, and blaming the Government when people complain the price is higher than advertised.

They are still applying their standard retail markup to the part of the wholesale price represented by the levy; so by definition it is part of the retail price, not a tax added at retail.

[ November 14, 2003, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: gordguide ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts