Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to do things the right way when my new MBP arrives...so a surge protector is a must. I went to futureshop, bestbuy, factorydirect..... the prices range in scope, functionality of some of these....just don't know what to get. I see some for 10 bucks and others for 200+ I don't need coaxial cable or telephone line jacks..just a good product to protect my mac.

How many Joules should I be looking for? I found one at factory direct, $27.00 with 2520 joules. Is that enough for a MBP? the cover listed G4, but nothing newer.

Anywhere else I can go? I'm looking for where to go and products.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I want to do things the right way when my new MBP arrives...so a surge protector is a must. I went to futureshop, bestbuy, factorydirect..... the prices range in scope, functionality of some of these....just don't know what to get. I see some for 10 bucks and others for 200+ I don't need coaxial cable or telephone line jacks..just a good product to protect my mac.

How many Joules should I be looking for? I found one at factory direct, $27.00 with 2520 joules. Is that enough for a MBP? the cover listed G4, but nothing newer.

Anywhere else I can go? I'm looking for where to go and products.
I'd say if your going to spend that kind of money spend a bit more and get a UPS to power any external hard drives or anything you may be running along with your MBP. I think having a power outage while using an external hard drive is more of a risk than a surge.

Personally I've got a surge protector I've had for close to 10 years that came from walmart. I've had no problems with anything.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Dont worry too much about joule ratings and such. Just get a reputable brand such as APC, Belkin, Tripplite..etc. For a macbook pro, you dont need a big unit but if you have an inkjet printer or external monitor, they could plug in there (dont plug a laser into the battery backup portion of the UPS - only the surge part).

Something like this might be more than enough and the price isnt that much more than a decent surge protector
Belkin Home Office 550VA 300 Watt UPS F6H550-USB in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

These protectors come with 'joule' ratings on them. What's needed for a MBP? How many Joules are sufficient?

Okay..where can I get a UPS?

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Don't buy anything with the name "Monster" on it. I generally recommend APC, I don't like Belkin UPS's - had 5 out of 5 of the "office' type fail within 6 months. They were literally worse than useless -- a fraction of a second outage would send them into battery mode and they would shut down, crashing the machines attached to them. Meanwhile the machines that were plugged straight into the wall carried on with no problems.

Yeah, I could have gotten warranty -- shipping to send them in was about $30 each for a $45 (on sale) item.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was told you need to see how many 'joules' your unit uses..and get something that can handle that much juice. That belkin you linked me to is only 700 joules... i dunno...maybe i was given false information.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You must have had some kind of bad luck because we have at least 30 at work from 500va to 700va which are going strong. Some are 3 years old now. Were all yours from the same lineup and purchased at the same time? Could have been a bad run.

Don't buy anything with the name "Monster" on it. I generally recommend APC, I don't like Belkin UPS's - had 5 out of 5 of the "office' type fail within 6 months. They were literally worse than useless -- a fraction of a second outage would send them into battery mode and they would shut down, crashing the machines attached to them. Meanwhile the machines that were plugged straight into the wall carried on with no problems.

Yeah, I could have gotten warranty -- shipping to send them in was about $30 each for a $45 (on sale) item.

·
Registered
12 Posts
These protectors come with 'joule' ratings on them. What's needed for a MBP? How many Joules are sufficient?
The joule rating is the amount of energy the surge protector can absorb and dissipate before it fails. The higher the rating, the more energy it can absorb. Look for something higher than 600 joules. Just as important is the response time rating. This is the length of time that your equipment will be exposed to a surge before the protector kicks in. Obviously, lower response times are better.

If you go the UPS route, you should still get a surge protector and plug the UPS into that. The UPS can get fried by a surge even while it protects your equipment.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you want a power protection solution for your notebook then a high quality surge suppressor would all that you need. I recommend Tripp Lites Isobar. This one would be the way to go..
http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=106

Just read this and its easy to know why the Isobar is the benchmark upon which other surge suppressors are measured. No other surge supressor offers the same level of protection as the Tripp Lite Isobar.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Surge protection and uninterruptible power are two different things. I'm too lazy/tired at the moment to get into which is which but if I were to get a laptop and I wanted to make sure the little guy stays safe I would get:

APC - Back-UPS LS - Product Information
APC - Back-UPS RS - Product Information

I currently have the Back-UPS Pro 650 model which is now discontinued and replaced by the Back-UPS RS series. APC is probably one of the (if not the) best UPS makers out there. Their products are excellent and their customer support is just as good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts