ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
hey! i was just looking for the exact same thing!
but i would settle for just the usb version

csc toronto has the firewire version for $49, but i would prefer to buy elsewhere

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jonmon said:
hey! i was just looking for the exact same thing!
but i would settle for just the usb version

csc toronto has the firewire version for $49, but i would prefer to buy elsewhere
as would i. please let me know if you find it. so far ive seen csc, apple.com, and cdw. apple.com's is overpriced, and the other 2 arent appealing, though if i dont find it soon, i guess csc will have to do.

oh, and i want the firewire version.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Any dealer will be able to order them for you. The FW/USB one is $43.00 and would take a day or 2 at the most to get in.

USB only is $35.00 with the same lead time.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Digital_Gary said:
Any dealer will be able to order them for you. The FW/USB one is $43.00 and would take a day or 2 at the most to get in.

can you?

im gonna PM you.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
I was looking for that one as well in Montreal.
Every Mac dealer downtown I have been to claims they had them, but are now sold out and have no clue when more are coming in - they're on order is what I'm being told at the store.
I was going to go for the USB only version. Couple of reasons why -
From what I can gather from the specs, the USB/Firewire version does not provide powered USB ports, the USB-only does; also what is the advantage of a firewire hub? You can daisychain firewire, so one FW port on the Mini is sufficient, at least for most connectivities I would think.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
also what is the advantage of a firewire hub?
If you have multiple drives daisy chained together and you need to remove the middle drive, you have unmount all the drives after and reconnect them. For some people, they don't want the hassle or the drives are constantly in use so they can't be unmounted.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Digital_Gary said:

i'm going to pm you too

edit - oh gary you are too far :(

·
Registered
283 Posts
We have them in stock. I'm at home now, and I can't remember our price.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Digital_Gary said:
If you have multiple drives daisy chained together and you need to remove the middle drive, you have unmount all the drives after and reconnect them. For some people, they don't want the hassle or the drives are constantly in use so they can't be unmounted.
Fair enough; but you only gain one extra firewire port with this Belkin unit.
Seems rather expensive since the 4 unpowered USB ports you get in addition are only worth $US5.00 (with free shipping) and no sales tax from the LED shoppe for instance.
You really pay big time for the Mini shape.
The other Belkin unit with 4 powered USB ports seems a bit more reasonable since a normal 4-port powered USB hub would cost around $C20.00

1 - 10 of 10 Posts