Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It is a crime that the improper use of thermal paste/pads and ignorance of its use has killed way too many computers before their time. Very sad.

Is it even worth restoring that model MacBook???

My cousin had a similar 2008 13" MacBook model that just up and died one afternoon but I didn't do any further investigation as to the cause other than the normal Diagnostics excetera... I didn't think it was really worth it... BTW: is it worth anything for parts???
I ended up selling her my 2007 15 inch MacBook Pro that was fairly loaded and with a solid state drive installed which is still working well for her use.

- Patrick
=======
Screen is valuable, bluetooth and wifi card, keyboard and the case. if the cpu and gpu are gone? unless you have a reballing station to reball it? that board is worth nothing unless you want to salvage the components

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Screen is valuable, bluetooth and wifi card, keyboard and the case. if the cpu and gpu are gone? unless you have a reballing station to reball it? that board is worth nothing unless you want to salvage the components
As for my cousins 2008 13" MacBook, I have absolutely no idea as to what might be wrong and I don't really know how to check. All I know is it doesn't even respond to the power switch and absolutely nothing happens. It seems to be dead dead dead.

Also with my son's 2014 15" MacBook Pro, it just decided to not boot up completely one day, it will Boot and the progress bar precedes to about 80-90% and then stops progressing and then after some delay it goes to a black screen as if it had turned itself off.

How does one determine what is broken in such cases???

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
As for my cousins 2008 13" MacBook, I have absolutely no idea as to what might be wrong and I don't really know how to check. All I know is it doesn't even respond to the power switch and absolutely nothing happens. It seems to be dead dead dead.

Also with my son's 2014 15" MacBook Pro, it just decided to not boot up completely one day, it will Boot and the progress bar precedes to about 80-90% and then stops progressing and then after some delay it goes to a black screen as if it had turned itself off.

How does one determine what is broken in such cases???

- Patrick
=======
theses machines are well known to overheat and quit working without any warning. installing a new or fresh os via cd or usb will cause to overheat. doing a simple task of opening a picture, will overheat. i did put in a fresh thermal paste on on the cpu and gpu and it still overheat even if i do an smc reset. to be honest? these machines aren't the greatest. i have only one left that is working properly. if only i had reflow station? i would busy replacing cpu on those macbooks. don't get me wrong i love them, but these models are not reliable as they age.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
these machines aren't the greatest. i have only one left that is working properly. if only i had reflow station? i would busy replacing cpu on those macbooks. don't get me wrong i love them, but these models are not reliable as they age.
Well, I guess there could be a lot of other models that could come along and take their place and there are certainly various reflow and soldering stations that are within one's budget, especially if one does it just as a hubby, but it would have to be a pretty Serious Hobby.

Some interesting sites and articles here:

And some rather interesting equipment listings here:

But the whole process to be successful seems to be similar to those who become good cheese and wine makers. Not all people seem to be able to manage to do so.

It's too bad that the manufacturers don't supply everything to us as they do with the military specs where good old lead is part of their endurance success and requirements to endure all the stresses their equipment has to withstand. It just worked.

- Patrick
=======

21 - 24 of 24 Posts