Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking all over the place for Firmware Restoration CD 1.3 and older version and i just can't seem to find them anywhere. even the Apple web site. when you try to D/l them? i keep getting the "The page you're looking for can't be found."

i'm looking for the version 1.4, 1.3 and others would be nice as extra.

Anyone knows where i can get them?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
42,782 Posts
Firmware restoration for what device?

·
Premium Member
17,987 Posts
Man, I can't recall ever needing one of those... nor can I imagine for what machine they might be needed. Following this thread for self-education :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Firmware restoration for what device?
it's for a MacBook A1181 . having some Firmware issues. perhaps installing or restoring it would solve the booting problem. it has a black screen, no chime. ram was reseated, smc reset was done reset pram and still won't boot from any known bootable drive. just hoping it that it ain't a GPU.

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
smc reset was done reset pram and still won't boot from any known bootable drive. just hoping it that it ain't a GPU.
What state is its PRAM battery???

Maybe it needs replacing as it's certainly well past its replacement due date. It wouldn't cost much to try... Plus they should be readily available... 😏

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
i was able to get some of the Restoration disk, but some of the links are not working
Maybe they could send you the ones you are missing if you contacted them???

Unless they are just linking to some other site that no longer exists... 😏

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
42,782 Posts
Is this for the MacBook 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo in your signature?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is this for the MacBook 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo in your signature?
No that is not for that one, i have a friend of mine from Ontario that is sending over her Macbook. We went thru the process with her trying to figure out what is going on with the machine and some ppl said that it is a FW issues. i was able to find a few, but not all of them and since i collect OS disk and other handy dandy cd image and all? i might as well grab as much as i can while we still can. Sadly enough the version 1.3, 1.4 is no where to be found as it use to be widely available from Apple web site. same goes with the Apple diagnostic disk. i have only a couple missing. =)

·
Premium Member
42,782 Posts
You only need one of them to help your friend. What is the model of her MacBook? A1181 covers several models.

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
Sadly enough the version 1.3, 1.4 is no where to be found as it use to be widely available from Apple web site

Firmware Restoration 4.1.9 is available for download here if that is of any help.

The iMac Firmware Update 4.1.9 will only run on iMac computers with slot-loading CD or DVD drives running Mac OS 9.1 from a local drive.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You only need one of them to help your friend. What is the model of her MacBook? A1181 covers several models.
As of now? the machine is in transit to me. i should get it by next week. she didn't provide me any other information about the machine. once i get it? i will be able to get the exact details.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
42,782 Posts
You only neeed Restoration CD 1.7, which is available.

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
You only neeed Restoration CD 1.7, which is available.
It will be very interesting if that software actually does anything to fix anything or help solve the problem, but here's hoping.

And as I mentioned previously, What state is its PRAM battery??? And maybe even its main battery for that matter???

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It will be very interesting if that software actually does anything to fix anything or help solve the problem, but here's hoping.

And as I mentioned previously, What state is its PRAM battery??? And maybe even its main battery for that matter???

- Patrick
=======
Gotta have to take it apart first, but i will definitely look into that before doing anything crazy to it

·
Premium Member
42,782 Posts
It would cost almost as much to mail that puppy and send it back as to buy a new one.

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
It would cost almost as much to mail that puppy and send it back as to buy a new one.

:rolleyes: I was wondering about that not so little fact myself... Unless there's some special reason that we just don't know about... 😏

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Took that machine apart and the pram battery was fine, but someone did took it apart and put the wrong thermal paste or might of put in a thermal pad as it was pretty gooey in there. The cpu was cooked, i have a spare logic board laying around that was off a black Macbook model, will see if i can revive that little guy.

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
but someone did took it apart and put the wrong thermal paste or might of put in a thermal pad as it was pretty gooey in there. The cpu was cooked,
It is a crime that the improper use of thermal paste/pads and ignorance of its use has killed way too many computers before their time. Very sad.

Is it even worth restoring that model MacBook???

My cousin had a similar 2008 13" MacBook model that just up and died one afternoon but I didn't do any further investigation as to the cause other than the normal Diagnostics excetera... I didn't think it was really worth it... BTW: is it worth anything for parts???
I ended up selling her my 2007 15 inch MacBook Pro that was fairly loaded and with a solid state drive installed which is still working well for her use.

- Patrick
=======

1 - 20 of 24 Posts