Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
soon i hope!!

any predictions? and will you be buying?

Phil

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
It could be launched as early as the Paris Expo in mid-September. Judging by the state of the Panther build as of mid-August, it would appear that most of the big bugs have been ironed out.

I'll likely upgrade...the Expose feature alone will justify the expense for me.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Latest reports place Panther as right on schedule for the rumored late September release which would be announced at Apple Expo in Paris keynoted by Steve Jobs. Apple said by the end of the year, so we know that it will definitely be by the end of the year. They gave themselves time in case of any major hiccups, but the latest seeds (in house and to developers) have gone from alpha builds (where features are still to be added) to largely bug killing and localizations issues.

Will I be buying? No. The reason being, my next computer I will purchase will have Panther on it. (Hopefully it will be in September, God willing.) I should have $3000 saved by the end of August, so I hope the new products won't be more expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Probably mid to late September. Am I buying? It would take a pack of live panthers to stop me!

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I have read a few reports that the performance increases are actually far more dramatic on the lower end machines out there. I would tend to believe this because on higher end machines Jaguar purrs like a kitten and it seems like it would be hard to improve on.

I have read credible reports that Panther runs jim dandy on just about every G3 machine out there provided you have ample RAM (256MB at least, preferably 512MB or more).

--PB

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'll be buying, although I'm hoping Apple will have an upgrade deal as I've just taken ownership of a new dual 1.25.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I would like to see what the performance is on the G3 processors, and if it irons out some known bugs in my current setup.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I will definitely be upgrading. I've been e-mailing a buddy of mine that has been working on Panther (as an Apple software engineer) a list of desired features and improvements.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Another seed has been released to developers (7B39) and from reports, they are down to clearing out bugs. If we're lucky the GM could happen in the last days of August and begin shipping mid September.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Scriptie,

My new dual 1.25 works very well thank you. It's my favorite box design, and although I work in a spot with some background noise, the machine seems pretty quiet. Large PhotoShop files still don't open instantly but I'm very pleased with the speed. Using Altivec Fractal Carbon Demo here are some comparisons (fun only):

My daughter's 600MHz iBook - 39.7 seconds, achieving 358.5 Megaflops
My old 400 MHz Yikes! G4 - 14.9 seconds, achieving 902.1 Megaflops
New dual 1.25 GHz G4 - 1.5 seconds, achieving 8.721 Gigaflops

Sorry to be so far off topic but I wanted to say something more than Yahooo!

So to conclude, upgrade deal or not I will be installing Panther as soon as it's available.

·
Registered
809 Posts
oldD: Man-0h-man back in the early days of grad school (early 90's) our department blew about $20K on an IBM RS/9000. We got about 300MFlop/s for our calculations. About the same as your daughters laptop. OK I feel old now ;)

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I have read a few reports that the performance increases are actually far more dramatic on the lower end machines out there. I would tend to believe this because on higher end machines Jaguar purrs like a kitten and it seems like it would be hard to improve on.

I have read credible reports that Panther runs jim dandy on just about every G3 machine out there provided you have ample RAM (256MB at least, preferably 512MB or more).
That's a good thing for my G3. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
The only thing holding me back from buying right away is wondering which, if any, third-party applications it will break.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Pnther client is really nice but Panther Server is just plain mouth-watering!

Not that most of you would care but Apple has been making HUGE improvements to the server OS as well.

Oh, and if you think Panther will solve the Exchange Server problem think again. Exactly the same situation as Entourage has now. We're not ahead any more than what MS has done. MAPI is "dead" but still alive, go figure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts