Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The eMacs are definitely a steal right now with such low prices, but only thing bothersome about them is that they're still using PC-133 SDRAM instead of DDR (along with the iBooks). Can we expect the new eMacs to have DDR SDRAM in the next revision?

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I don't think there will be a next version of the eMac,
Didn't Apple say that they were eliminating all of their
CRT Mac's and going purely LCD?
I'm sure that I read that somewhere, It would explain
why their eMacs have been reduced in price so much.

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I don't see the point of using DDR, since there are no performance gains with the G4. (Just can't use the speed of memory, considering the bus run at a max of 167 and the 2700 ddr they use in MDD runs at 333. A waste!

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
It's cheaper than PC133. That might be Apple's logic.
I can't see them discontinuing the eMac yet. Not until they can retail an iMac for around the same price. Education needs a cheap system.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
The emacs and iBooks are due for the next round of updates within a month or two
I would imagine they will move to a 167 bus like the powerbooks and powermac G4s did.
I believe the iBooks are still at the 100mhz bus with pc133ram, so a 167 bus iBook will be quite a upgrade.
My goal is to pick up a low end iBook in about 2 years, maybe they will be 2Ghz by then

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
low end iBook in 2 yrs?? Who knows where they'll be @ that point. Man... even now, for a few $$ more, you can get the 12" PB. Just over $2k? But the 900 is such a good deal. I'm getting the lady friend to cough the $$ up for one (for herself). $1849 for a combo?? I'm so with that...

But with the eMac - they need to keep the features under control, not to make it more of a deal than it is right now. Hands down the best desktop deal out there. I agree that they will keep it around so to always stay in some competitive position. Such an affordable unit! It is a little bulky though... But eMac + iPod?? <$2K: all good. And you still have $$ in pocket!

H!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The eMac.. is probably one of the best Apple machines in terms of sales.. they sell tons of them.. they are around for a bit still..

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
160 Posts
dolawren, Apple announced they were going all LCD BEFORE the eMac got announced. There was an outcry from low-end users and education customers that LCD screens are too expensive which is the reason Apple later announced the eMac.

I haven't heard of any reports since that Apple was going all LCD. If you can find one I'd be interested in seeing it.

Here is an article that supports my post. It's the Apple press release from the introduction of the LCD iMacs (which was months before the intro of the eMac). In the press release Steve Jobs is quoted as saying “The new iMac ushers in the age of flat-screen computing for everyone. The CRT display is now officially dead”.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
RubberG - I totally recall that statement. Thus I was a little surprised when the eMac was announced. But let's not forget that the eMac was initially a EDU only unit. You had to be either student or EDU professional to purchase. I recall I was all over my bro (who's a full timer @ a Univ.) to look into details. Apple then made the announcement that the eMac would be available @ retail. I'm sure they wished they had killed the CRT after the 1st set of eMacs... :rolleyes: What would they have sold w/o the initial probs and bad rep? :confused:

H!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts