Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I've heard tons of different dates and now I'm quite confused, does anyone know?

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I don't think Apple gave a date for iTMS in Canada.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Probably won't be making its way up here anytime soon, let alone this year at all. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
160 Posts
A friend of mine in the States was nice enough to buy me a $10 gift certificate! Works perfectly up here, I didn't need a credit card to make an account (hence no US billing address required).

The only hard part is figuring out what 10 songs to buy!

·
Registered
523 Posts
RubberGorilla, that's brilliant Does it really work?!

Damn, I'm going to send some of my US friends cash via PayPal, get the gift certs, and I'm set. Sweeeeeet.

I totally missed the US credit card avenue, was living in the US, returned home and updated my billing address 2 days before iTMS was announced. Perhaps I'll see about switching one of them back to a friend's address and then setting up a little shop here at ehMac ala Fink's suggestion. ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
It works perfectly, I have bought two songs so far.

The only small issue is that I had to put a US address in it. It's not a credit card billed address, so it shouldn't really matter.

I guess technically I am disobeying the terms of the license, but I get the music so it's all good.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Ya, I guess this does sort of blow the whole aspect of finally being able to download music legally in Canada, puretracks.com notwithstanding. I wonder how long it will take Apple to figure out people are doing this and try to plug the hole (ala iTunes 4.0.1), or if they really care. There is potential for them to jump on it if the labels or the RIAA or whatever national recording body happens to feel threatened by it. Interesting, but probably won't be "noticed" by anyone, can't imagine a significant amount of traffic.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is what it says on the iTunes Gift Certificate page:

Give the gift of music. Use your Apple Account to purchase and send an electronic Gift Certificate to anyone with a valid email address.

Sounds like a loophole to me :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Oops, except for this section of the Terms and Conditions:

10. Territory. The Service is available only in the United States, and is not available in any other location. You agree not to use or attempt to use the Service from outside of the available territory, and that Apple may use technologies to verify your compliance.

You guys promise not to turn me in?

·
Registered
523 Posts
:D Ah, that's hilarious! Mum's the word.

Now what were we talking about here? Uh, hmm, ehhh... Oh look over there!

/exits out the back door

[ October 17, 2003, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: sinjin ]

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Hopefully Apple isn't reading this thread. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm not too woried about Apple using their resources to stop a $10 transaction that was after all made in the US.

To be safe I might just get my account put under my friends address.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Given the rumor of iTunes music stiore coming tyo canada that I read http://www.macnn.com/news/20128, I actually contacted CRIA (Canada's RIAA) two weeks ago to see where things were at. After all, Apple "does not comment on unreleased products", as we all well know

The CRIA gal I exchanged email with said that they are almost finished with negitiations between publishers and vendors, but that APPLE HAS NOT APPROACHED THEM AS OF YET!

So, who the hell knows?? :confused: :mad:

[ October 18, 2003, 03:57 AM: Message edited by: Macaholic ]

·
Registered
523 Posts
More "news" on the subject at MacRumors.com. Would be nice, but of course no dates mentioned...and I have a craving for salt now. ;)

David Basskin, CMRRA's President writes:

<blockquote>I'm happy to say that the process of negotiating a licensing deal with Apple is now under way. I met last week with representatives of the company, and I'm confident that our discussions will move ahead quickly. Last week, Steve Jobs told me that Apple couldn't wait to come to Canada, and that it was a very high priority for him. I trust that this enthusiasm will be reflected in a quick and mutually successful negotiation.</blockquote>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts