Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey new to the mac world, and I understand that there should be new PowerBooks announced around that time. So when is mac world sf this year?

Thanks,

James

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Macworld is January 2003. No official word on a new line up of Powerbooks was announced, though. We can guess there will be, though. Most poeple think there will be; although I think Apple will announce new G4 (or GPUL or G5) towers instead of revamping the iBook/Powerbook.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
How about a new series of PowerBooks, ones that have dual processors and a fast system bus, TWO Firewire ports, and come with 60+gig hard drives already built in. Oh...and they would also available in three colours. Titanium grey, Black, and white.

Think those would, or wouldn't, sell? Think that these specs are impossible at this time? What would be a reasonable cost? What one feature would make one of these be a "must have" for YOU?

Speak up...and let the rest of us (and Apple) know what you think.... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> What one feature would make one of these be a "must have" for YOU? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Audio line-in/out and a S-video port.

And an iPod-like touch pad for video editing would also be a nice touch. :D

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
I still think we'll see a revamp of the G4 powerbooks before MWSF. The recent financials showed that G4 PB sales were horrible. The line is stale and needs a refresh. And Jobs keeps saying that Apple is disconnecting hardware announcements from MWs. Also, a 1 GHz titanium would allow release of a 667 G4 iBook in January......

As for wish lists of features:

Pink or purple, airplane-like metal case (gotta do something about the crappy paint job on the current Ti's - mines a mess)

Integrated BlueTooth, better 802.11 reception (standard) and better audio processing

64 Mb DDR VRAM/Radeon 9000 (since video spanning is so easy with the DVI out port)

DVD-R burner (hey, I know, its a luxury, but make it an option....)

Dunno whether the DDR system architecture makes sense for a PB. The performance gains with current chips are small and you can't future-swap cpus in powebooks. Might make sense if it helps in streamlining design but it'll be hard to sell it as a value-add.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I hope they revamp the PowerBooks. I used to like them, but now I kinda think they look old, grey and icky...next to the cool line of all-white that Apple is pushing these days.

They should go back to black...or put out a white PB...with the same form factor and a built-in SuperDrive though (IMHO).

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macnutt:
How about a new series of PowerBooks, ones that have dual processors and a fast system bus, TWO Firewire ports<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dual-processors on a portable is impossible, and pointless. The Powerbook would heavily overheat with no high-powered fan; and if it had such fan, check the noise -- very loud. I agree on the dual-FireWire ports, though.

A bigger hard drive would also be an asset. You have to remember than portables aren't supposed to have the specs of a G4 tower. If you want all the high-tech stuff, get a tower.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts