Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still running Mojave (10.14.6) on my 2018 (2017 model) 27" 5K iMac (custom 4.2ghz i7) 24gb RAM.

My son is suffering along on a 2011 iMac (at least until Xmas). If he doesnt' reboot at least once a day, his system just can't cope with the things thrown at it (mainly Minecraft, Roblox and some web-based games via Chrome).

He came into my home office and was asking some questions about my system (and lamenting his techno-suffering), and somehow the topic of uptime came up. I hadn't thought about it... Mojave has been incredibly stable, one of the reasons I've resisted Catalina / Big Sur and why I'm taking my time to move to Monterey.

I opened Terminal and ran the "uptime" command... I'm presently at 32 days without a restart, and the system's humming along just fine, despite my abuse of Safari's tabs (currently a measly six tabs open, but my days begin with easily 25 or more), MS Word, Pixelmator Pro, Safari, Preview, Mail... and yes, occasionally Minecraft when he wants to hang out in a Realm...

How are y'all doing on uptime? What's your record?

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
My son is suffering along on a 2011 iMac (at least until Xmas). If he doesnt' reboot at least once a day, his system just can't cope with the things thrown at it (mainly Minecraft, Roblox and some web-based games via Chrome).
How are y'all doing on uptime? What's your record?
I am also running a 2011 iMac w/ 20GB memory but prefer to use macOS Mavericks 10.9.5 and have no need of such frequent reboots, but I may do so regardless and out of habit maybe once a week at least, the iMac seems to prefer things done that way. But I run things differently and definitely do not run or do games of any sort. I understand they don't play by the rules anyway so they probably need special treatment for things to work properly.

How does the iMac run if he stays away from running games for a bit??? Does it still need frequent reboots when the games are avoided???

What are the indications that suggests a reboot should be done???

Has he tried a complete shutdown and done a cold boot into safe boot mode and then just restart after logging in, as doing so can help purge a lot of surplus crap.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
18,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"How does the iMac run if he stays away from running games for a bit?"
.... if that day ever comes, I'll let you know.... :D

We've had to do a few safe boot restarts over the past year to keep it happy. Minecraft in particular (or the Java on which it runs) seems to need to clear it's head occasionally. At the heart of our challenges with this model, though, is the video performance in Minecraft (and other) games. Visual stuttering, etc., cause him no end of frustration. It's also entirely possible (though there is no indication of this from SMART) that the hard drive is nearing it's EOL. There is still ample available space (200gb+), and I've reinstalled the system a couple of times.

Once his new system is up and running, I may drop in an SSD in the old iMac and give it to someone who needs a computer. That will ensure data privacy while giving it a little more "oomph" for future use.

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
I may drop in an SSD in the old iMac and give it to someone who needs a computer. That will ensure data privacy while giving it a little more "oomph" for future use.
I installed a replacement OWC SSD in my 2011 iMac a few months ago after the original HDD spinner died gun that performs quite well and fairly speedy for most things, but some things such as enhanced Dictation take a good minute ± to load with the SSD which seems a bit odd as it was almost instant loading when first used after a reboot or cold start when running with the HDD.

But I have found google's voice dictation extension software works way better than Apple's dictation, but unfortunately it is not usable globally with non google applications.

As I said previously, I don't do games. But all normal video stuff works well.

Maybe your son will be happier with his Mac games playing after Christmas, 😏 😏 wink wink 😇

EDIT:
BTW: does your son use OptiFine???
OptiFine is a Minecraft optimization mod.

It allows Minecraft to run faster and look better with full support for HD textures and many configuration options.

The official OptiFine description is on the Minecraft Forums.

And some interesting user comments:

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
18,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW: does your son use OptiFine???
OptiFine - we installed it once, brought that old iMac's graphics card to its knees.

He likes his mods and texture packs, too. I'm a little excited myself waiting to see what it's going to look like on the M1 tied to a ProArt display :D

·
Premium Member
42,932 Posts
I was going to install Minecraft on my son's computer a few year back until the part where you had to agree to allow full access to the computer on which it was installed.

·
Premium Member
18,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
42,932 Posts
No, it was in the ToS document at the time. You had to click a box to allow it.

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
OptiFine - we installed it once, brought that old iMac's graphics card to its knees.

He likes his mods and texture packs, too. I'm a little excited myself waiting to see what it's going to look like on the M1 tied to a ProArt display :D
Let's hope he doesn't experience any of the problems many seem to be coming across with the new Apple M1s and the use of external monitors... 😒

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
18,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let's hope he doesn't experience any of the problems many seem to be coming across with the new Apple M1s and the use of external monitors... 😒
I've been following the issue, and know of at least two third-party apps that can be used to "fix" it. But I've also read that it's been recognized as an official bug, and should be addressed in a macOS update, if it hasn't already.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You read the ToS, MF? (hehe) I never shut down my 2015 MBP unless there is a problem. Then run OnyX and Disk Utility from Recovery Mode. Too lazy to shut down all my applications, I guess. Yup, open tabs, me, too!

Grandson in BC does a lot of Minecraft but on PC. He reports little frustration. I think Macs just don't play games well.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Currently using a 2021 14” MBP (M1 Pro). I shut it down about once a week. My wife uses a 2011 MacBook Air (11”) running Sierra. She shuts it down whenever it gets overwhelmed; a few times a week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts