Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing that has become clear using iLife apps is that they all have a natural 'cutoff' point. For instance for iMovie it is when you want to start to edit from two cameras instead of one: possible, but a pain in the neck.

What is the cutoff for iPhoto? It captures beautifully, supports all kind of drag & drop and is remakably intuitive. Granted, the image manipulation is anemic, but that's why we have Photoshop and others. Anybody can give me 2 or 3 examples of limitations? I am interested because I plan to buy a negative scanner and load up a lifetime of pics.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I find iPhoto doesn't handle large photo libraries all that well. Right now I've got over 3000 photos in my library and iPhoto crawls when starting up and shutting down (on a PowerBook G4 667).

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
What he said. As soon as you have more than a few photos in your library performance seems to go in the toilet. And the more you add, the worse it gets, not only with startup and shutdown, but scrolling through your library as well.

The way it catalogues files and the different ways to make albums and sort images are great, but iPhoto really needs an overhaul.

--PB

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've heard its a good idea to split up your iPhoto Library when you have more than about 650 MB or photos. Basically the strategy is to create several libraries as needed, and when you open iPhoto, you only open the library you need.
So the challenge is to divide up all your photos into convenient libraries, as iPhoto cannot open more than one library at at time.

From apple support 34879:
The iPhoto Library folder, located in your Pictures folder, contains photos you have imported into your photo library and any albums you've created using iPhoto. If you want to move your iPhoto Library folder to a new location, you must create an alias for it in your Pictures folder.

IMPORTANT: If you move, delete, rename, or otherwise tamper with files or folders in the iPhoto Library folder, you may be unable to see your pictures in iPhoto.

To move the iPhoto Library folder to a new location:

1. Drag the folder to the new location.
2. Select the folder in the new location and choose Make Alias from the File menu.
3. Drag the iPhoto Library folder alias to the Pictures folder and name it iPhoto Library.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I've thought about manually splitting up my photo album, but it seems like a bit of a hack. I thought the whole point of using a Mac was that I wouldn't have to hack my way around the limitations of the operating system or its applications.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
jfpoole - You don't HAVE to, like some systems, but its more fun that way ;)

My guess is the next version of iPhoto (most likely released a few months after Panther) will have a speed upgrade along with it most likely being optimized for Panther.

The iLife package seems great for an average consumer. But when you start to try to go pro with the iLife apps, they tend to stretch a little thin. However, I love the photo enhancement button in iPhoto, it works wonders, and is very well done.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,651 Posts
SK, it is interesting that this apx. 650 MB split is apx. equal to a regular CD-RW. I wonder if there is a deliberate connection?

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK so iPhoto gets sluggish with too many pics. What happens if you archive your pics to CD or DVD? Do the thumbnails stay around clogging up your memory or do they actually disappear from your library?

BTW: given the debate on DVD standards, is it prudent to archive pics on DVD or stick to CDs for the time being?

Thanks

·
Registered
809 Posts
Thats exactly right, thanks for bringing it up. I suppose the same holds for any data you can break into chunks -- not just iPhoto -- make it match the units of your storage media.
Allthough, decent backups are supposed to straddle storage volumes, ScriptKiddie here does not take chances with the family photos!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I did a full back-up of my photo library a couple of months ago and all it does is copy your library to the disc. The photos remain in your HD.

It is true...iPhoto needs an overhaul. I have about 2300 photos and my G4 800 slows to a snail's pace when I open or close the app. I sure hope Apple will try and do something about this.

As for the app itself...it is my favorite (after iTunes). I am not a photo guru who would need Photoshop. I just need to get rid of red-eye or fix brightness and contrast. For users like me...it has all the bells and whistles I need. :D

·
Registered
312 Posts
Anyone use ACDSee? It's a great image management program. It doesn't make it's own library like iPhoto -- it just keeps track of your photos in whatever folder you keep them.

It's a Mac version of a Windows app, but doesn't feel like it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I wish iPhoto were able to import my movie clips off my digital camera (canon A70)

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I wish iMovie would import the AVI clips off my Digital Camera.

And what is this talk of "going pro" with the iLife apps? All I want it to be able to do is store a good number of photos and not be terribly slow.

If I want to manipulate the photos, I have PhotoShop and graphic Converter.

Don't get me wrong, iPhoto is a great concept and for the most part well executed, but it shouldn't need to take any longer than any other app to load.

--PB

·
Registered
234 Posts
With all due respect to apple and it's consumer-oriented i-apps, iPhoto just doesn't meet all my needs.

Portfolio 6 is a fairly complete and affordable digital asset management solution which allows the cataloguing of almost all file formats (creating thumbnails for vector files, Quicktime movies, etc). It has a server version and comprehensive keyword searhing and imputing.

i can do without the ken burns effect, thank you very much.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use iphoto to store all my family pictures etc.
I have over 8000 pictures so far and I split up the library.

Go to versiontracker.com type in iphoto and download the iphoto library manager.
its a small app that lets you split libraries up and select which one to load before you start iphoto.

If you use iphoto with one library for all your photo's it becomes frustrating as speed slows down.

Also, if you have photoshop, go into the preferences and setup your double click to lauch photoshop(or whatever other photoediting program you have) This allows you to edit your photo's in a more powerful environment rather than the simple tools iphoto offers you.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,651 Posts
PosterBoy, you hit upon a question that I have wondered about as I am trying to decide on a new digital camera. I have a Canon ZR40 videocam, but I know that there are times when a short video clip from the digital camera might be useful. However, is there no way of transporting and saving this clip in iMovie, or some application that is effective on a new Mac?

·
Registered
503 Posts
PosterBoy, you hit upon a question that I have wondered about as I am trying to decide on a new digital camera. I have a Canon ZR40 videocam, but I know that there are times when a short video clip from the digital camera might be useful. However, is there no way of transporting and saving this clip in iMovie, or some application that is effective on a new Mac?
Dr. G you don't have to worry. Your camera has firewire, and that's all you need. Posterboy was talking about avi.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Dr. G, Assuming your camera is one of the +200 that captures those wee movies in QuickTime format, then I *think* QuickTime Pro can do basic editing after uploading to your Mac. Anyone else actually done this, or worked otherwise with QuickTime Pro?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts