Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that when one posts a link and ehMac convert's it to a hot link with the story headline, if there is one of these ' it auto posts a series of six symbols instead of the apostrophe?

And can this be fixed? It is most annoying to go back and correct things and few members even bother. Just curious.

Here is an example where the real headline is:

Rona Ambrose: 'Western Alienation' Is Real And It's Dangerous

And we get this:

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Why is it that when one posts a link and ehMac convert's it to a hot link with the story headline, if there is one of these ' it auto posts a series of six symbols instead of the apostrophe?

And can this be fixed? It is most annoying to go back and correct things and few members even bother. Just curious.

Here is an example where the real headline is:

And we get this:

Best guess, the forum software is properly encoding entities for storage, but isn't decoding entities before displaying, and probably only for URL bbcode. There could be a lot of other possibilities, but it's to do with HTML entities.

' is the entity for '

·
Administrator
386 Posts
Hey guys,

This is a known issue with since the iOS11 update came out. It seems that iOS 11 changed the encoding for some characters like ' or ".

Not to worry, our next (update) release will have a fix for this. Ticket 2740336.

Thanks for your patience,
Nate

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
It's beyond an iOS 11 issue, VSAdmin. This has been happening for as long as I can remember here in ehMac. I never use the forum on an iOS device - always Safari on a Mac.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
It's beyond an iOS 11 issue, VSAdmin. This has been happening for as long as I can remember here in ehMac. I never use the forum on an iOS device - always Safari on a Mac.

+1 !!!

See my sample post in post #3 using:
Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks, Safari v. 9.1.3 2011 27" iMac.

- Patrick
======

·
Administrator
386 Posts
That was my mistake, we have another ticket opened with a very similar issue to this. I'm looking into this and will keep you guys posted. (Ticket 2320553)

Thanks,
Nate

·
Administrator
386 Posts
Anytime - that's what we're here for. No update yet as I re-opened an older ticket for this same issue just yesterday. Will keep you informed.

Enjoy your weekend, everybody!

Cheers,
Nate

·
Administrator
386 Posts
Hey guys,

I've received confirmation from my techs that this has been sorted out. Could you confirm on your end this you are no longer seeing these string of characters in your text?

Thanks,
Nate

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Nope. Sorry, it didn't work unless I messed up my trial… :-(

The previous posts have the character code removed, but not with any later posts using single quotes.

A common problem still at lots of sites and still hasn't been "improved" or corrected even with later OS versions.

- Patrick
======

·
Administrator
386 Posts
I'll take a note of this, but I want to see if others are also having this issue first.
Are other's seeing any improvements? or still the same issue.

Best regards,

Ed

1 - 20 of 52 Posts