Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird? I see that the Firebird has standalone versions of a browser and a mail program. Are the Firebird versions any better than the ordinary Mozilla 1.6a? I just downloaded Mozilla and like its performance. I've been using Safari only up until now. The Mozilla Mail is rather sluggish, but not bad.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Gecko is the open source HTML rendering engine that powers Netscape, it is maintained by the Mozilla Foundation (aka project or group).

Mozilla is the app that the Mozilla foundation primarily develops, it is a front end for Gecko (just like netscape). Mozilla Firebird is another app currently in development which is a front end for Gecko. The rendering engine is developed by the same people but the front end applications are developed by different groups.

If you are interested in a Gecko based browser for OS X, i would recommend you look into Camino as it is was originally conceived to be a fast and lightweight browser for OS X only, and that is exactly what it feels like.

--PB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.