Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone's hooing and haaaing about iLife. I don't see what the big deal is.. does this mean we can't get upgrades for apps that were originally included free with our OS, now we have to pay for them? (not including GarageBand) Could someone please explain to me why this is a good thing?

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Free would be nice, but I think $59 for 5 awesome programs is more than reasonable. I don't expect to get free updated copies of Tony Hawk, Quicken and Worldbook that originally came free with the computer.

I think the hoopla is because they're great programs. Garageband alone is a lot better than a lot of programs that cost the same or much more.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
GarageBand. 'nuff said.

This app has inspired a whole TON of students at my school (who would otherwise continue to get into trouble or wander aimlessly through life) to take their musical ideas and produce quality productions like this:

Step Back

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
The big deal is GarageBand plus the rest of the enhancements. You can't download either iDVD or Garageband they are huge.

Best bargain in software likely ever. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
GB is good, but don't forget great improvements to iDVD, including the ability to make 2 hour long disks in better quality than previous 90 min. version.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess it's fine for consumers.. I prefer DVD Studio Pro, Reason, Cubase, Pro Tools, Final Cut Pro, etc etc..

You're basically paying $59 for Garage Band, which is fine for what it does.. but the rest? Doesn't make sense. These are all apps that come built into OSX, or at least are there at the installation. It's not like buying a PC and getting free crappy cds with it.. they're the ones that advertise OSX to come with all these awesome free apps.. now they're asking us to pay for the upgrades.. just seems silly.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Kloan,
You basically answered your own question by bringing up M$.
When was the last time M$ upgraded anything included in XP. Photo and fax viewer (crap) and never upgraded. Moviemaker (crap) and never updated. No DVD program at all and definately nothing like garageband.
So the question becomes, do you want to live in that world for free or this world for $59 bucks.
Garageband excluded, as a recreational user of the programs, I got my moneys worth in about an hour.
Mind you, my wife seems to think I'm married to Garageband, Maybe I better lay off that one a little.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hardly think its logical to compare Apple to Microsoft. Microsoft, plain and simple is junk. In every way. Apple is not. They have always tried to step above and beyond the average, and offer something better. I still stand by my point, simply they've included these apps as part of the OS that you buy. They advertise these apps as part of the offering of OSX. You can see for yourself here: Panther Overview

So why should we now have to pay for upgrades to software that is part of and basically intergrated within the OS?

(and I didn't bring up MS)

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I don't think it's such a bad idea to charge $59. for something
that would take someone on dialup all day to download.

Think of it as being a service fee for burning it to a disc and
putting it into a nice fancy box at your corner Mac store.

On another note...So to speak...

There's no mention of whether it is on a DVD or a CD,
Anyone know what the iLife package format is?

The site says you need a DVD to install iDVD and Garageband,
But it doesn't say that the media is being installed from a DVD.

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
My Mistake then. You said PC and I jumped to the delusional conclusion that said PC would be running Windows.
Yes, I know previous versions of ilife were included as part of the OS and for new machines this is still the case.
Apple has decided to charge a very reasonable amount for upgrades. We can take it or leave it. Most people seem to be taking it.
Call it a shift in direction from Apple and from that perspective I understand your opinion. I just don't agree with it.
The upgrades, IMO, are substantial enough to qualify as a new release.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Hi dolawren,
It comes with 2 disks. One CD and One DVD.
The DVD contains iDVD and Garageband. So you need a combo drive to install these two components.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
The versions that come with OS X come with the core functionality of each app. I have no need for the extra functions of iLife04 and so am content with the included versions with 10.3. In this way you do get what Apple advertises with its systems.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Of course don't forget that any new machine now comes loaded with both Panther and iL4...

I was happy to pay for the upgrade having had a good run from these apps for over a year (and lots of stability upgrades in the interim). I was very unhappy to have to pay for Panther on a two week old computer
so I cut a deal with my conscience and bought one copy for three machines...

There are of course other issues with Apple's software policy. For example, I can't copy the encyclopaedia from my iMac to my PB, although I am the registered licencee on both machines.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
guess it's fine for consumers.. I prefer DVD Studio Pro, Reason, Cubase, Pro Tools, Final Cut Pro, etc etc..

You're basically paying $59 for Garage Band, which is fine for what it does.. but the rest? Doesn't make sense. These are all apps that come built into OSX, or at least are there at the installation. It's not like buying a PC and getting free crappy cds with it.. they're the ones that advertise OSX to come with all these awesome free apps.. now they're asking us to pay for the upgrades.. just seems silly.

First and foremost, iLife '04 is an upgrade — iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, and iTunes have all upgraded features/improved performance, but the only difference is iTunes was made available for free. The rest are not, so the only way to get new versions are to buy iLife '04 or get a brand new Mac. $60 is piddly to pay to upgrades/update 3 programs and get 1 new one.

The only time iMovie, iDVD, and iPhoto have been free is when they were first released. After that, you've always had to pay for the next version (or get a new Mac). You may think iLife's apps are integrated into the OS, but in fact the cost of an OS upgrade/new Mac is factored, to some degree, in the price. It's called value added software. M$ does it... but when they do it, it just plain sucks.

Secondly, you may prefer the higher-end software however you've already hit $1000 dollars (Sountrack is $200, FinalCut Express 2 is $380, DVD SP is $680, and then whatever other software packages like Photoshop are extra) and the learning curve is much higher. DVD SP may have a higher level of features, but then again, you need to program all the functions by hand, create graphics and so on (unless you use pre-fab templates... but why would you when iDVD can do that for you at a much cheaper cost?).

It should also be noted that Apple has slowly been moving iLife as a prosumer-level—without losing ease of use. Check out the additional features in iMovie, iDVD, et al and you'll know what I am talking about. They're not quite there yet, but check back in 2005/2006 and you'll see a much more powerful version of iLife.

In the end it comes down to two things: Business and economics. You can't stay in business if you're giving away software as empowering as iLife. If you're a pro, then it's probably not for you... then again, I know at least a handful of pros that like iLife. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And are you happy with iPhoto's current performance? The lag while scrolling doesn't bother you?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts