Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've read the threads. I 've studied the articles. I need an answer.

For 2500 (+/- 250) which is a faster, better machine for me?

DP1.25 (new gen) or
G5 1.6

RAM upgrade costs are relatively the same.
I do not run legacy devices.

I am a mid-end power user.

I multitask extensively using Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Image Ready, Illustrator, BBEdit, 2 Browsers, Eudora, and FTP - running simultaneously - all day long.

I do not do Photoshop files over 100MB
I burn backups, music CD's.

My current machine is now 6 years old, a beefed up 9600 / G3 500, U160 4 striped Cheetah's, and now has gone as fast as it can. I would like to improve this.

I am not afraid of OSX.

So what should it be?
G4 1.25 for 2250 or
G5 1.6 for 2799

Please chime in so that I can refresh my vibe!

TIA

JKD

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Despite the G4 having dual processors, I still think the G5 is the better choice.

·
Registered
503 Posts
As much as I've always sung the praises of the dual G4s, the fact that you say "I am not afraid of OSX" is a big reason to consider the G5.

If you're sure you can completely abandon OS 9 (can you afford necessary software upgrades?) the G5 has something the G4 doesn't -- a huge system bus. As MacDoc's tests seem to suggest, the power of this machine is more evident with more RAM.

And the G5 has more room for that too. In the long run it should last you for a healthy period.

Still, a dual G4 would be a huge step up from your current machine too. Either way you can't lose.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you wait about 6 months the %50 boost in the G5 will put it in a better position along the Moore's law curve. At that point the G4/G5 dilemma will cease to exist.
Hey, you've waited 6 years, another half a year wont kill ya ;)

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Better yet, do a custom order on the G5/1.8 (no modem, combo drive) and you'll get the better architecture for $3000.00 Cdn..

I'm pro G5, obviously. :D

-Howie

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Keep in mind the main reason the DP 1.25 is out there is for people who have to have OS 9.

My current machine is now 6 years old, a beefed up 9600 / G3 500, U160 4 striped Cheetah's, and now has gone as fast as it can. I would like to improve this.
Want the new one to last a long time? Wanna upgrade it later? Better to have new architecture which I've heard is "nice and open". Looks like G4's more of an embedded processor now (iMacs and laptops). Plus the improved cooling system will probably help processor upgrades too I guess.

I think with many apps open the faster memory system is going to help.

Get the G5. It feels good to have the latest thing.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I guess the other question to ask is how large is your budget?

If $2800 plus tax is your bottom line, don't forget that you'll want to upgrade the RAM which needs to be bought in pairs. Its nice to have the latest and fastest but not without more RAM. 256 MB is not enough.

The dual G4 is more attractive if you don't mind being behind the leading edge (how fast is fast enough?). You can use the difference in price to buy things like a flat panel, RAM or extra hard drives.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so far everyone.

MacDoc you have a G5... what say you?

I'm leaning this way so far...

G5 BTO no modem, Combo drive =$2499
3rd party 512 RAM kit = $140
$2639.00 (delivery 7-10days)

Please keep up the comments !

TIA

JKD

·
Registered
599 Posts
If you need to see preliminary benchmarking of a dual G5 versus a dual G4 1.25 with high end video cards then jump over to xcelr8yourmac.com

·
Registered
719 Posts
1) the G4 will accept your SCSI card and 2 or 3 of your cheetah drives, if you want to keep them.

2) Very little G5 specific software at the moment. MacAddict has reported that some software does not work as well on the G5 as the G4 because of specific instruction issues.

3) your budget does not take into account the $$$$$ necessary to purchase new X software.

4) 3 fewer drives in the G5

5) the G4 has really neat mirrored doors on the front.

6) Do you have pets? The cheeze grater is going to have a kitty hair issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Keep in mind that the G4 doesn't have Bluetooth, FireWire 800, or AirPort Extreme. I have no idea if that matters to you at all, but it isn't obvious because the G4s had those features since January, and their specs were downgraded with the introduction of the G5.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just to expand on something Britnell was saying...

At this point in time the G5 will not accept your U160 card (although drivers may change that soon), so your drives will be useless. Even if it could there is only one extra bay to put a HD. Where would the cabling go? The Hard Drives and PCI slots are in seperate "cooling zones".

If you are ready to say goodbye to your U160 drives then go G5, if not, go G4.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts