Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to trick-out my 1.25ghz G4 Dualie and by my research the NVIDIA GeForce4 Titanium card is the best choice. Would the new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (for the G5s) work, or will there will there be new cards to support my computer in the future?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The Radeon 9800 Pro is better than the Geforce 4 Ti, but the Mac version of the card isn't yet available other than BTO at the Apple Store.

However - you can buy the PC version of the 9800 Pro and throw it in your G4 without flashing. The PC version of the 9800 Pro will work in 4X-AGP slots (in Macs - 4/8X in PC's), but not 8X-AGP Pro slots (Mac version of card required for 8X-AGP Pro slots). Be advised that the PC version of the card has VGA + DVI ports, not DVI+ADC ports (for obvious reasons).

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lars. Sometimes I think "you don't get no respect", but it's times like this when you show you are an asset to the ehMac community.

Anybody else second Lars' opinion? Are there any other comments?

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
I second the fact that Lars offers very decent advice although at times I think he lives here
sorry Lars! you seem to be a great guy and help alot of people on this forum and thanks for your input in the past! I live here too quite oftan..I want to know more about using the PC version of the 9800 pro though..that would be cool..thanks Lars...cheers, Mark

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I should also say that if you do grab the Geforce 4 Ti - that isn't a bad card, either. With 128 MB of DDR graphics memory, it should keep you up with the most demanding 3D games. The only downside to this card is that NVIDIA makes sub-par drivers for this card (and other Geforce models) for the Mac, which don't let the user take full-advantage of the card. nVidia has been widly criticzed by Mac users for producing sub-par, if not just completely bad, drivers for their cards. That doesn't mean the card won't perform well, if not excellent, but it won't be performing to its maximum ability.

Also, I should note that I have not verfied that the PC version of the 9800 Pro Radeon card will work in 4X-AGP slot Macs, but I did hear it from someone else (triplezoom). Apparently some guy bought a 1.8 G5 from Apple with the 9600 Pro, and instead wanted the 9800 Pro later on. Apple told him they couldn't sell him the card separatly, but instead told him to buy the PC version of the card and it would work. It turns out the card does work, but only in 4X-AGP slot Macs - not in 8X-AGP Pro slots. Something along those lines.

If that made sense, hopefully I helped. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts