Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

What's Next? Another Philip K. Dick-story-based movie

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Macfury 
#1 ·
What's your favourite movie based on a Philip K. Dick story?

I haven't seen them all, but Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report, even the equivocal Paycheck, were much fun.

http://www.philipkdick.com/films_intro.html said:
Completed Films

Blade Runner (1982)
Based on "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

Screamers (1995)
Based on "Second Variety"

Total Recall (1990)
Based on "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale"

Confessions d'un Barjo (French, 1992)
Based on "Confessions of a Crap Artist"

Impostor (2001)
Based on "Impostor."

Minority Report (2002)
Based on "The Minority Report."

Paycheck (December 25, 2003)
Based on "Paycheck."

A Scanner Darkly (July 7, 2006)
Based on "A Scanner Darkly"

Next (April 27, 2007)
Based on "The Golden Man"

#4 ·
#6 ·
The edited version makes the film unlike anything Dick might have written. While the source material is far richer than even the unedited film, that original film at least breathes the same air as the characters in a Dick novel.

#7 ·
I haven't seen all of them, but of those I have:

Blade Runner (even the theatrical release, mangled though it is)
A Scanner Darkly
Total Recall
Minority Report (liked it despite Spielberg at the helm and Cruise starring -- two of the very biggest movie turn-offs for me. The only worse combo would be a hypothetical musical-from-hell starring Kevin Costner, Hugh Grant, John Travolta, Don Rickles, Andie Macdowell, Patricia Arquette and Sofia Coppola, directed by George Lucas. Yet I found Minority Report watchable. Go figure.)

#9 ·
The only worse combo would be a hypothetical musical-from-hell starring Kevin Costner, Hugh Grant, John Travolta, Don Rickles, Andie Macdowell, Patricia Arquette and Sofia Coppola, directed by George Lucas.
To really put the icing on the cake you've got to get Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves in there somewhere, but I really like the idea of this film being made. Just think, if such a film existed, no matter what happened to you, you could think "it could be worse: I could be watching that show."

Cheers

#10 ·
I you saw the sanitized, pre-digested version with the happy ending tacked onto it (i.e. the theatrical release), I don't blame you. The director's cut (the version that Ridley Scott gave to the producers, who went nuts because it was too dark and cerebral for and American audience to understand, let alone enjoy, and then dragged Harrison Ford back to do a voice over and film a saccharine happy ending after they edited it to death) is both highly entertaining and a work of art.
I saw them both, the original cut again just recently, and didn't like either. I enjoy the issues that the film deals with, I just don't like the film.

Don't worry though, I've been trying to enjoy this film for around 25 years and will try again the next time it shows on TV. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.