Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is in the desktop db file? It's normally invisible, but it shows up in Toast when I'm making multiplatform CD's. I tried opening it up in BBedit, and it's mostly unintelligible, but there's a few websites I visited, and other assorted stuff that I have no desire to give to clients. How can I get rid of this?

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
There should be an option in Toast Titanium to replace it with an empty file. Check out your Toast documentation files; I can't remember exactly how it goes. There is also information on the Toast website.

Not a critical issue, in and of itself, but it does present a problem for anyone who may have sensitive files (file names, actually) on your desktop.

It's possible to read the DB and DF files on a burned CD and find out what icons were on your desktop (and their names). As for the websites, I'm not really sure what that's about; do you have downloads going to the desktop, perhaps?

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Toast Lite doesn't have the option to omit the desktop database files, only the full version.

You can get around this by creating a disk image (using disk copy) with the files you wish to burn. Then mount the disk image, and drag those files into Toast. Your DF and DF will only refer to the files you want to burn, and not everything else.

Yes, this is a _major_ issue, which I'm surprised Apple hasn't addressed, since it's built-in Burn Disc feature has the same flaw.

M.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
The DB and DF can get big, and I know that Internet Explorer can sometimes use it as a temp file where it will store URLs (so anywhere you've gone could be there...) It can be a major security flaw, but I believe rebuilding the desktop will clear it out... but since it can only be read so you can find out what was on the computer only @ that time, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts