Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone really use it any longer?? Feel like they've become a touch of a common person's browser - and they've been slow at making significant upgrades to the features. WTH. I thought of this after this popped up....

Chrome has been fast and furious w/ features. Canary is also avail.
FF released a Dev Edition meant for some focused tooling of sites.

Safari?? Don't feel like I've seen any significant changes in more than a min. And MS Spartan has been getting some attention, seemingly working with the community to get it right this time. The knock on Apple/Safari? no one seems to ever know what they're doing. Too bad.

I keep them all grouped to test. Safari desktop #s are dead low, but they do have a bit of a hold on mobile.

but still...

What are ehMac'ers using FT??

H!

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
If you really want to know: an outdated Safari 5.1.10 on OS 10.6.8, 2006 Macbook Core Duo 2 GHz with 2 GB of ram. Runs fine since I've installed Ghostery to avoid loading pages with animated ads, which will eat up all your ram in no time.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
I mostly stick with Safari 8.0.4 on Yosemite. It has all the features I use and feels just as fast to me as Chrome or Firefox. The main reason I stick with Safari is that Chrome and Firefox tend to really push the CPU quite a bit more, causing the battery to drain faster and temps to get up into the 80s and 90s when watching videos, while in Safari I never see it go beyond 60 degrees.

·
Premium Member
18,010 Posts
Safari is my daily use browser. I only fire up Chrome or Firefox when a particular website is being bothersome, and I can't remember the last time I had to do that.

Disclaimer: OS X 10.10.2, Safari 8.0.4 :)

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
my daily driver is safari.. only use chrome for idiot web designers that insist on using flash still over HTML5 - which I can say is twice a month.

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
I use Safari all the time. My bookmarks are synced on my computers, iPhone and iPad, and It just works. For me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
... and despite that little bit of frustration, i'm still FT on Safari - @ least the default browser. But I still feel they're pretty closed off. Again, for a group that has gone about and been once leaders in the standards implementation, they seem pretty content with their low position right now. And believe me, we're a serious minority of Safari users. I really think that when Spartan hits, they might lap Safari #s in a few months - unless something special arrives this yr @ WWDC.

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
So does that answer your question, Henri? 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Safari 99% of my usage.

Chrome is my backup for when Safari has an issue (which is very rare).

I find Firefox slow and bulky... especially when loading multiple tabs. I have it around just in case something isn't working with both Chrome & Safari.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Haven't even heard of it. It looks like it might be good, but I have no interest in trying new browsers as I see no need, especially if they don't have mobile versions and a 1password extension.
At their beginning, and the way browser wars are - look for speedy updates. But that's just on paper.

I love what Chrome is doing though, esp for testing. Network throttling?? Animation control/inspector?? GREAT tools.

H!

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
At their beginning, and the way browser wars are - look for speedy updates. But that's just on paper.

I love what Chrome is doing though, esp for testing. Network throttling?? Animation control/inspector?? GREAT tools.

H!
Yea, Chrome has great tools built in for web devs, as a user on a MacBook Pro though I just wish they would get the amount of resources it uses under control especially when watching video.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.