Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Typically Sub-$500 LCDs in the 17" range are Analog only, with poor contrast and brightness ratios, and bad viewing angles. You'd be better off with CRT.

I swear by Samsung 'T' LCDs. But you pay a premium. 152T, 172T, 191T, 195T, 213T. (first 2 numbers being diagonal size).

N.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Personally, I am a big fan of Viewsonic. Their VX series is the shiznit if you ask me, and the 17" one only goes for a few dollars more that most other 17" LCDs, but it has a higher brightness rating and contrast ratio than pretty much all the other ones I have looked at.

--PB

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts
PB and NY, two of ehMacLand's Mac Mavens. What would you suggest in a 19"LCD instead of the Apple 20" display?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The thing about the Apple display that attacts me is that it is a wide screen, which is crazy useful if you plan on multi tasking.

However, the Viewsonic VX900 19" (yeah, that VX series is pretty sweet) has a higher contrast ratio, a higher brightness rating, and costs 700$ less than the Apple 20" display.

The resolutions are similar (well as similar as they can be with the different aspect ratios), 1280x1024 for the Viewsonic and 1680x1050 for the Apple.

--PB

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts
PB, this is a most helpful bit of advice (especially coming from one of the MacMavens). I have ordered the 2GHz G5, but without a monitor. There wasn't enough money in the grant for this computer and the 20" monitor. However, a savings for a 19" monitor would be helpful. I am not really into multi-tasking, and if I was doing a video editing task that would be all I would be doing. I don't watch DVD's on anything but my TV, so the wide-aspect is not crucial. Thanks for the info.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I have ordered the 2GHz G5
Along with a 17" Powerbook G4... must be nice to have grants!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts
PosterBoy, was checking out the Viewsonic website and some PC sites for reviews about the VX900. It seems to be a quality LCD. There is an attachment device which sells for $13 to attach this display to a Mac. Is this a necessary item?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts
Lars, the 17" AlPB is history. It was suggested that I wait until the developers conference to see if there were going to be any PB announcements. When the G5 series came out, I spoke to the Mac Maven here at MUN. He suggested that if I was only going to buy a laptop as a desktop replacement, why not get a state of the art desktop. He is a dedicated Mac laptop user, and will consider nothing else. However, he said that had he not just bought a 12" AlPB, he would strongly consider the G5. Thus, the grant is to be utilized for the G5.

Lars, FYI, this is not a traditional grant, which comes from a granting agency and is funded via taxpayer's money. I developed two web courses and put the money into a research pool. I am able to then access the university's tax-break on all items purchased for research.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts
Sorry, MasterBlaster, I don't mean to hog this thread, but while I have PosterBoy's attention (I respect his advice) I need to ask him one more question. The Viewsonic VX900 and the Synchmaster 191T are available at MUN's Computer Purchasing Center for the same price. Which, in your opinion, is the better display for the G5?

·
Registered
507 Posts
My site reviewed the 191T - great display. In fact, I liked it so much that I bought one a month later.

http://www.envynews.com/review.php?ID=123

Viewsonic URL:
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcd_vx900.htm

Samsung URL:
http://www.samsung.ca/cgi-bin/nasecabc/en/b2c/product/product_detail.jsp?LoginFlag=NO&prod_id=GH19PSAS

The specs between the two are nearly identical, except that the VX900 has 100 extra contrast ratio (600:1 instead of 500:1), and the 191T's screen can pivot (PC Software only, but if there's a Mac OS X 3rd-party util like there was on OS 9, which can force resolutions, then it'll work).

According to a local parts store:
http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/?cid=218
191T = $1107 CDN
VX900 = $1262 CDN

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts
Neil, thanks for this detailed posting and the URLs. It is most helpful. Are there any special adapters that would be needed to connect either of the monitors to the new G5? Are the speakers on the Viewsonic really that helpful?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts
Neil, just finished reading the Envy News write-up on the 191T, and was impressed with the quality and depth of the review. You are a knowledgeable pro and a fine writer.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts
Neil, is the Syncmaster 191T capable of a 800 X 600 resolution on a Mac as is the Viewsonic Vx900? Is there much need to be concerned about a difference in contrast ratio specs (e.g., 500:1 or 600:1)?

[ July 15, 2003, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Dr.G. ]

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
We only sell the Samsung stuff. I personally own a Samsung 191T which I love to death. That model has both analog and DVI connectors wich allows me to see both my Linux and OS X machines with the flip of a switch. Picture in picrture would be nice though...

We do have the Apple Cinema displays as well but the cost difference is not really worth it unless you absolutely must have a 16:9 cinema ratio display to gloat to your PC buddies about...

The only thing I wish is that some of the Samsungs would have a higher resolution.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts
MacGenius, what might be the main differences between the Samsung 191T and the Viewsonic VX900, with regards to the contrast ratio? Is the difference actually visible to the naked eye for a non-professional? My main need for a larger monitor is the ability to increase the font size of text to 800 X 600, and to be utilized for home video editing and digital pictures. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Merci.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I just plugged my 12" AlPB into the VGA cable on my PC's 191T. I was able to run it at 60 and 75Hz at: 800x600, 832x624, 1024x768, and 1280x1024.

I have both a 500:1 Contrast Ratio Samsung 191T and their latest 600:1 Contrast Ratio Samsung 172W. The 172W is a 17" widescreen LCD with a Contrast boost feature and is aimed at DVD-video playback. It's a relatively nice screen, but I find that at 600:1 contrast, it's too bright. My eyes tire on the 172W, and NEVER on the 191T.

Oh, and I have a 2nd 191T on order, for dual-mode usage on the PC. So, yes, i'm totally satisfied with it. I owned a Apple 17" LCD for over 2 years, and even though the Apple 17" had a great design (albiet unadjustable stand for height and forward lean), the 191T, 172T, 152T, 171P, 170T, 172W, and other Samsung displays have all been superior in pixel response times, brightness/contrast ratios, and ESPECIALLY viewing angles.

As for Mac compatibility, it's a DVI-D/VGA-15pin dual-mode display, and worked fine on my PowerMac Quicksilver 867 on its DVI output. I don't recall what interfaces the Radeon 9600 on the G5 has (other than ADC), but i'm hoping it's DVI and not just VGA in addition to ADC. This monitor really shines on DVI/digital connections.

As for higher resolutions, faster pixel response times, higher contrast ratios and the like, Samsung *may* release a new line of 'T' displays this fall (192T and 195T, the latter being their new 19" top-of-the-line), and apparently an 'X' series which have a radically new design and much faster pixel response time. I'm testing a 29" Widescreen DVI LCD for samsung right now, and it has a 20ms pixel response, which is phenomenal for the size (but costs $6000 CDN). However, having stated that a 195T is perhaps coming out, and there is in fact a 213T out (21", but $2000 MSRP), shouldn't play on your decision at this time. If you're aiming to buy for a mid to late august, perhaps Samsung will release a new line-up, but from the stats i've seen regarding the 195T from leaked reports, it only has a higher brightness cdm2 rating, the same contrast ratio, a new stand design, the Brightness boost (cinema setting) like on the 172W, and maybe a faster pixel response, but the price will be back in the mid teens for the price.

N.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts
Neil, you should earn a comission on your presentation of this monitor. I have no idea when the delivery time might be on the G5. I was thinking that maybe the Apple displays might be updated, but so far, no word. However, from what you and PosterBoy have stated about the Samsung and Viewsonic displays, there is an alternative to the 17"/20" Apple displays. The savings shall be put back into the computer (extra RAM). Thanks again for taking the time and effort to sharing your expertise a Mac-user (once again) to be. Merci.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts