Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a G4 for sale a few months ago (sold, thanks) - but today I received this email ...

I might be interested in your Powermac. However, your price, in my opinion, is high, based on the fact that for $1000.00 and change I can get a lot more Windows PC plus some serious speed. I mean no offense. Used G4 Macs are overrated and way too expensive. I've used them and they are not that impressive. The reason I am considering making an offer is because we, my wife and I,  like using a Mac. Plus, we have some impressive software considering we are home users. After spending a small fortune on the old one we now have (bought new), we will not experience that again. After a few years, one feels robbed for paying thousands. You have this hole in your pocket and an old computer.

So with this in mind, I would like to offer you the miserly sum of $500.00 for the following:

Apple PowerMac AGP G4/400 with the following specs: G4/400 100MHz bus 1MB Cache RAM AGP Graphics - 16MB ATI Rage Video Card 832MB RAM (3 x 256, 1 x 64) Firewire, USB, 10/100 Ethernet Ports Quantum 10GB Hard drive Internal 100MB IDE ZIP with proper bezel DVD 56K Modem original mouse but no keyboard.
I told him in a round about way to take his money and by a PC .. what would you say?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
Blackk, I would also suggest that he try to find a PC with an equal amount of power AND reliability for $500. If used Macs were so "overrated", I can't see why the fine folks in ehMacLand would be openly presenting the Mac hardware/software they currently utilize at the bottom of many posts.

·
Registered
129 Posts
OT: I thought this thread was going to be about Dave Matthews Band.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I like how the buyer was trying to make you feel responsible for the going rate. It's not up to you to set what the value of your machine is, the market decides that and right now a first Gen (PCI and AGP Graphics G4) are worth between $800 and $1200 Canadian.

That's probably what I would have told him.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
:eek:

wow.... I wish that I had the chance to get one of those emails. Incredible how he really tried to sit there and convince you what it was really worth, and not justify it. He feels robbed although he wants a Mac - since he and his wife like it and have ammassed an impressive amount of s/w. What is that? PowerPC envy??? A hole in your pocket?? Take that s/w and use it, instead of keeping it in the trophy case and comparing version and update patches. :mad: I never take these emails too well..

Blackk, i would love to read that reply... POST IT!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Maybe I could throw in my ex-wife and take his on trade in?
LOL! Now there's an offer!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts