Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey people.

i have a dual 867/g4, 133mhz, L2 cache 256 kb, L3 cache 1mb, 512 ram, 32 video card, combo drive, and a 17inch lcd apple flat display...

now, i have a $1000. what should i do?

Option A - buy applecare, 64 video card, andother 512 ram....

Option B - 2 gigs of ram, 64 video card, ilife...

Option C - sell the machine and upgrade to a g5 1.6 or 1.8 (which may require a bit more money)

Option D - just applecare

Option E - buy a dog.

Option F - something else???

i use my machine for photoshop/illustrator/quark work, storage, a few games (ahem...halo) and thats about it.

Please help. my warranty runs out by next week, i need to make up my mind...and im finding it terribly difficult.

thank you
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,363 Posts
i might top up the ram but the machine is fast enough for 2D graphics work. a new graphics card won't help you in that area. in my opinion people tend to place too much importance on the speed of their machines and not enough on the skills to make them useful. why not spend that money on new software? any interest in flash? dreamweaver? some 3d software?

my gut feeling is not to bother with applecare unless the machine has been giving you trouble. if it were a laptop then that would be another story...

if you really need a faster machine then selling your dualie plus the $1000 will get you well on the road towards a g5.

don't upgrade your machine for gaming. get a console. you could get an xbox and 6 or 7 games....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Certainly AppleCare is a worthy choice, especially if you are concerned the system may encounter problems after the standard warranty has run out (Warranties are, of course, magically designed so that your system will freak out mere days after a warranty runs out...
)

So I'd say Applecare is a good investment. But not a requirement. However, there is a limited time in which you have left to actually purchase it.

More RAM is always a good investment. After all, Photoshop LOVES RAM.

iLife'04, although I haven't used GarageBand myself, may be a worthy investment too. Seems to have alot of people going music-happy lately.

I dunno. You could also donate the extra money... May I recommend the "Strongblade 'get a life' fund"?
 

·
Vorlon Ambassador
Joined
·
5,295 Posts
I'd stay with the G4 DP867 unless speed is becoming a big concern. If you need a faster processor then I'd go the G5 route. Staying with the G4 DP867 I'd make the RAM upgrade first. I assume since your using Quark, you're still using MacOS 9? If you were using MacOS 10.x, the video card upgrade would be beneficial as it would improve Quartz Extreme performance (A 32MB video card is more or less the bare minimum). Applecare is a personal choice, if you want peace of mind, then get the Applecare.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,742 Posts
Forget Applecare on a tower. I only buy it for laptops and mechanical items like printers.

iLife, a DV camera and another hard drive! (may push the $1000 a bit but you can always go second hand on the camera)

iLife, big speakers, another hard drive and a nice MIDI keyboard

iLife, a good semi-pro camera and a film scanner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
Option C.
The more you wait, the more this DP867 will devalue. If you have the $1K cash now, and having disposable income is not somehting you often have, then you should dump your best that still has a lot of appeal to those that REQUIRE DP overhead (DV editing, etc), and take the proceeds from it and the $1000 and buy a G5-1.6 (or the rumored 2.0 single processor out in 4 days). That's what i'm doing right now - dumping my 5-month old PowerBook G4 for a good value (still, but not for long), and taking $1000 cash and buying a 1.6 or new-2.0, if it isn't a rumor.

Sure, you can upgrade the DP867 out the wazzoo, but the G5 comes with a myriad of features, and a full new warranty, and it's no turtle, speedwise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
I heartily recommend Option E if and only if:

- You have time to appropriately train and exercise the dog.
- The dog is purchased from a reputable breeder that has the interests of the breed at heart (unlike most pet stores). Or alternatively, rescue (adopt) a dog.

With patience and effort, the emotional rewards will be far greater than anything a computer upgrade can offer. :D

And since I've veered dangerously off-topic, I'll shut up now.

- Martin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow, great responses... thanks guys.
about the apple care part, ive heard that it isnt necessary for a tower, but what about the 17inch lcd display? do they break down often?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,402 Posts
I have the 867 Quicksilver tower and I took out Applecare. After 13 months, the motherboard died. New board, no charge. Towers do die. I guess it's like any insurance. You buy it and hope you never have to use it.
Cheers,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Option C.
I would take the 1000.00 and the dual 867 and trade up to a G5.
With a new G5 you will get :
1.a faster & newer powermac.
2.a super drive (a 450.00 dollar value)
3.a 64 meg video card of your choice. NVidea 5400 or ATI 9600. Your choice.
4.and a screaming fast mac.

I owned the dual 867 before trading up to my G5 1.6 and I do not regret it at all. The difference in price was around 1000.00. But I upped my ram in the G5 and that cost a couple hundred more but was worth it. The G5 also has double the drive space than my old G4 867 dual, and macdoc raided them together and they scream, I'm not kidding. They save and load data at speeds similar to what I've only seen on old ultra scsi 160. The superdrive is amazing. I back up on dvds now so I don't have so many cdrs to burn. You can fit the equivelant of 6.5 cds on one dvd. And lastly the 64 meg video card with my 17" lcd is way more snappy than the older dual 867.

You should consider trading up while your G4 has more value today than in a year from now. And if you put another 1000.00 into the G4 you will also lose value on that investment as well. Yes, you will be able to sell all of your gear used eventually. But why not try to maximize your money now?

Just my 3.5 cents worth.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,423 Posts
if your interested in selling your Dual G4, let me know, I am looking for a system similar to yours.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,815 Posts
If you can't afford a G5, max the RAM on this one (1.5GB RAM) and make sure your graphics card is Quartz Extreme capable. For Photoshop and Quark, the more RAM, the better.

BTW gang, have you all seen these Photoshop tests on a G5 configured with varying amounts of RAM? VERY interesting!

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G5/8GB_RAM_Tests/G5_8GB_ram_tests.html#storytop

Also, some people might dispute this, but a FAST dual G4 (faster than yours) can be faster than a single G5 Powermac in some processes... and Photoshop is one of them. And there's the rub: if a Photshop user wanted to go G5, a dual is the most effective investment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow...i didnt think id get so many responses. im seriosly thinking about that dog...for the summer though. and through the humane society. so heres the deal, ive decided to sell my 867, and buy the G5 1.8 GHz, 512 MB, 160 GB, SuperDrive, 64 MB Video. is that a good choice? are the prices coming down for sure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Buy a dog!

I heartily recommend Option E if and only if:

- You have time to appropriately train and exercise the dog.
- The dog is purchased from a reputable breeder that has the interests of the breed at heart (unlike most pet stores). Or alternatively, rescue (adopt) a dog.
I do not know what I would do without a dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Certainly the 1.8 GHz unit is proving to be a popular and excellent choice in system. Sounds like an excellent upgrade from your earlier system.

I'll try not being jealous...


:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
I don't know if the prices of G5s are coming down for sure. But in the next week or so there may be new powermac G5s announced by Apple if the rumors are correct. Doesn't mean that they will be available for purchase right away though. It takes a while for the retailers to get the newly announced gear. A dual 1.8 G5 is a nice purchase, great price point for the amount of computing power that you get. If I'm not mistaken you will exceed your 1000 price point that you originally asked about. Or did you mean to say that you were buying a single G5 1.6 powermac? The single processor G5 will keep you closer to the 1000 that you have to spend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im talking about the single 1.8 g5. they have it at Carbon Computing for 2,859...

man, i hope if they announce new updates for the g5s, these older ones come down by a few hundred...
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top