Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The one thing that stands out for me in your post, is that you want it to last 5 years. That definitely makes me think the G5 is the best choice. As for concerns about first revision Apple products, by January we'll all know if any quirks have shown up in them. So far they seem to be, arguably, the most well thought out design Apple has ever made. Despite the lack of a second optical bay, and esthetics opinions aside, it's a brilliant machine.

The dual G4 is a good choice too, but it's longevity is a bit in question in terms of a 5 year ownership. Will 64 bit become something special, or is it mostly hype? How much more will Panther, and future software development, benefit the G5 than it will the G4? Will a company eventually produce a processor upgrade for the G5 machines?

Lots to consider, but quite honestly neither machine is a bad choice.

-Howie

·
Premium Member
30,933 Posts
Get the G5 - it's too bad you are in Montreal as if you test drove one you'd be convinced right away.
I've been through ALL of Apple's intro pains exept the 128 original. I started "behind the market" with Fat Mac 512.
There were indeed horror stories some still lurking like REV A Blues

The G5 is not a work in progress it's a work of engineering art.
Hell I'm running Beta OS and it's just rock solid.
While Apple finally got the hiccups mainly worked out of MDDs it was long and arduous. They obviously got the message in the G5.
Considering the front edge technology in bus speed etc the quiet and stability is amazing. :eek: :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
691 Posts
So I'm hating my tower and its inability to actually open apps before 6 jumps of the dock.January is what I'm planning for in terms of an upgrade and am starting to look into options and opinions for what is a smarter and more useful purchase.
It's going to be either a G5 low end or a used Dual 1.25 or 1.Given Apples past for out of the box screw ups (G4 noise,iBook screen and video card,that fireball notebook) I am worried I'll get one of these in a G5.Now aside from a longer support span in the G5 are the duals just as strong?I've read a few report that have the duals out performing the G5.Do these hold merit?
I'm an average user,but this is a purchase that is going to last at least 5 years.
Provided all goes well with the G5 is 1700$ a good expectation for a dual come January?
Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
691 Posts
Macdoc is pretty bang on.
I just had a play session with the single G5 (thanks Rtc
) and am VERY impressed.
It ran Unreal 2003 like it was Pacman,and this was without tweaking so I'm guessing mid range settings on the graphics.
No noise.None.Even with a bit of noise in the room I couldn't hear a thing.
Now my only question is what can a G5 do that a Dual can't?At least to justify the big price difference.With the G5 at about 3K when all is said and done,a Dual can be had for a thousand less.This is alot of ghetto change for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts