Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My iBook is currently having its third Logic board installed. The first logic board failed on January 15th and I got it back on February 6th at 2:00. The second logic board failed at about 2:45 on Feb. 6th. The third logic board is somewhere between California and Ottawa at the moment. As you can probably guess this entire problem makes me not want to ever see the machine again - not having the iBook while it was in for service really showed me that I do not need a laptop and really don't want one - especially not a piece of junk like an iBook.
Should I try to keep using the iBook once its fixed? Should I sell it and buy myself a desktop? What's my best bet for selling this machine? sell to a dealer or just put it on ebay. I have no doubt there will be somebody who will buy it - used apple laptops fly out the door at any store.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
don't you think it would be a little too unethical to unload a ticking time bomb like your iBook onto someone? this is the reason i will never buy a used iBook (or a new one, for that matter).

seek a replacement or refund from apple. use legal means if necessary. if you want you can sell the replacement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Jason
Let me start by asking where and when did you buy this iBook?
Second if it was a retail store...I could make a sugestion...
But if it was an Apple.ca...no help there at all.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont see a problem selling a machine that has been "fixed" to a dealer.. Plus the machine has applecare for the next two and a half years. I got the machine from apple.ca - the thing is I DONT WANT A LAPTOP anymore. I want to get rid of it.
I phoned one apple dealer who buys used machines and they JUMPED at the chance to buy it. and they KNOW about the problems with these machines.

I'm done buying from apple.ca/1800-my-apple.

Is the applecare extended warranty transferable?

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I decided to take Apple up on their offer. I rented myself a iBook g4 for an entire MONTH. I cant wait to pick it up on monday.

AND I answered my own question. Applecare is transferable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Jason, check the AppleCare info...I think it says there if the same part brakes down three times you would automatically get a replacement.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
vectra - iBooks aren't bad, but the one set of G3 iBooks had a design flaw that is causing logic board failures. Not everyone is being affected by it, but way higher then normal failure rates are happening.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Yup,, 3 computer Lemon Rule!

Call Apple, you have Apple Care,, your gonna get a free new g4... happened to a few people already on the Apple Support Discussion boards..

·
Registered
275 Posts
Jason,

You should be elligable for a new iBook all together(if i'm not mistaken) don't send it back to get fixed. Send it back to recieve your new G4 iBook. And if you want a desktop. Sell the new iBook you recieve.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In theory I should get a replacement iBook. Even future shop has a no lemon policy on their laptops (three failures and you get a replacement) But this is a VERY difficult concept for a company such as apple.
Since two (or three) of my logic boards have been dead on arrival they dont count towards apple three strike policy. I dont know why, they handed me the iBook said it worked and I took it home. All I can do is wait till next time it fails (wont be long) and phone Apple customer relations again - and , of course, tell every person I know to avoid Apple products(I've stopped two people from buying Apple products so far)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Why would you stop people from buying top-notch Apple products because of one bad experience. All companies occasionally have lemons, but overall satisfaction with Apple products is very very high.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
have you threatened legal action/going public?

i'd take them to small claims. 'course that's easy for me to say...

i feel pissed for you man. :mad:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts