Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I acquired an iMac Lampshade quite a while back and have been pondering what the heck to do with it. It's a 700 Mhz model in nice condition with original keyboard and mouse. I was also just advised that the original owner finally found the original shipping box and thankfully the original disks as well, so I can now wipe the drive and start fresh.

But then I got to thinking, why bother?

I mean I like the style of the thing and all, but how practical would it be in everyday use?

So what else could be done with a Lampshade?

What should I do with it?

Any ideas out there?

G

·
Digital picture frame? They have a pretty cool look to them so why not make them something that is meant to look at?

Lots of people have said they use them for a jukebox sort of thing as well.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I like the idea of a digital picture frame, but I use mine as a kitchen PC.

When it's on, it charges my iPod, tells me the time (with a pretty female voice) and plays movies while I'm cooking/cleaning. And it looks so GOOD in my white kitchen! No speakers necessary either so it takes very little room.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
This was the best "re-purposing" IMO.

I just love it I think it is so cool. I would pay good money for it.
While that is super-cool, I'd say it's a waste of a perfectly good iMac, since it seems the OPs model is working fine.

If the iMac were dead, I'd say building it into a lamp would be great. :D

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
I was just sayin' "This was the best "re-purposing" IMO"... I wasn't suggesting SINC do it.

Although if he did he could probably get more for reselling it that way than as the working iMac. Some people (like me) are willing to pay good money for crazy ass s**t like that. ;)

And personally I would have more use for it as a lamp than a computer, but that is just me.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have an iMac G4 lampy. I keep it around since it will boot into OS 9, and i have some things that need that to be running. The will not run on an intel mac whatsoever.

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
I just got one the same 15" 700MHz G4. It works fine for light duty surfing, music via iTunes, email and msn messenger. If you don't want it I'll take it off your hands!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do you know a kid who could make good use of it as a first computer?

The digital photo frame is a nice idea, though I have no doubt it would suck about 10 times the power of an actual digital frame!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Do you know a kid who could make good use of it as a first computer?

The digital photo frame is a nice idea, though I have no doubt it would suck about 10 times the power of an actual digital frame!
I had picked up one of these for my son (currently 7 months old!) as his first computer, but, managed to pick up a great deal on a 17" G5 instead and sold the 17" G4 for $290 just before Christmas.

·
Registered
560 Posts
LOL - by saying I couldn't find a buyer, one showed up today! He got a bargain of my monster (of a G4 anyway) at $250.

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
Bluemax, what were the specs of your iMac g4?

·
Frequently Befuddled
843 Posts
We have one of the 17" 1.0GHz 'lamp' iMacs at work. We use it in the boardroom for presentations, training, demos, that sort of thing. For that job, it does very well - basically just running Safari, and occasionally mirroring to a second screen or a projector.

The 'arm' makes it quite good for one-on-one training and demos and that sort of thing, as it's easy to swing it around from one person to the other.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
I use mine, 17 inch 70 mhz, as a juke box. I bought an airport card so it streams from my 27 inch iMac. It would be fantastic if the screen was touch, not just mounting an iPad to it, but actual touch interface for OS X. Would look incredible without the need for a keyboard or mouse.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Can it run GarageBand ? If so you can donate it to my classroom. We are looking for a computer that can run GarageBand so we can start making podcasts

Anyhow, it's just a thought!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts