Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just about come to my wits end re: current ISP and my very slow and expensive internet connection

I am with a Canadian company called Xplornet, part of Barrett, who are based in New Brunswick. They are the only "made in Canada" solution. The only other solution is out of the U.S. and there are no guarantees with them and they appear to be even more expensive.

They took over from Anikast which was the consumer Ka band internet satellite service provided by the former government agency called Telesat.

Since June 25 of this year I have been experiencing very slow speeds.

I am on their 2 mbps down and 500 kbps up package which they retail for $179 / month.

I am getting less than 1/2 of the download speeds and lately that has degraded to about 1/4.

My upload speeds hover in the 1/3 of max.

I have spoken to at least 30 people, been promised that it will be fixed by several people, had various hardware replaced, at my expense and speeds are getting worse.

It appears they don't want to fix my problems, but are maneuvering me into dropping their system and giving me my original money back, not including replacement parts as per their suggestion.

I called the CRTC and they don't have jurisdiction in this matter.

They suggested the "Commissioner for for complaints for telecommunications services" which is an industry funded, voluntary to join organization.

The CRTC further suggested that I contact my "provincial gov't consumer services bureau"

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm thinking maybe it's time I go to the media and see if they are interested in this. Prov. MPP and MP give me the "market forces" line when I have approached their offices.

thanks for letting me vent and any suggestions

I was considering moving 1/2 km south where Rogers is installed.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
I have spoken to at least 30 people, been promised that it will be fixed by several people, had various hardware replaced, at my expense and speeds are getting worse.

It appears they don't want to fix my problems, but are maneuvering me into dropping their system and giving me my original money back, not including replacement parts as per their suggestion.
Anyone have any suggestions?
A small company is more likely to dump a service-intensive customer, so no surprises.
Find the best deal. That does not mean the precise deal that you would like (I want a cheaper MacBook) but that you really dig into what they claim; what they backup by contract; and, entry and exit fees so that you can decide for yourself etc.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Sell the damn house ;)

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A small company is more likely to dump a service-intensive customer, so no surprises.
Find the best deal. That does not mean the precise deal that you would like (I want a cheaper MacBook) but that you really dig into what they claim; what they backup by contract; and, entry and exit fees so that you can decide for yourself etc.
The Barrett Idea
Entrepreneurial spirit, growth through careful management, and continual reinvestment.

Throughout the Barrett Corporation, we share the same commitment to do the best work possible. This demands us to be relentless in our pursuit of quality and to fundamentally understand that the work is not over until the job is done. We will strengthen our shareholder value and create an organization that is built to last.
so much for mission statements

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If a customer costs too much to service, then the job is done. It is not an infinite declaration as most consultants are painfully aware of from experience.
ah yes, he who sucks on the teat of the oil patch, somehow understands the plight of one being forced to take it up the a$$ by a monopoly

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
and u gonna find me an apt. suitable for my needs, never mind sell my house for an appropriate amount?
I am not sure what the service offerings are but are you mixing up "needs" with "wants"? ie. a given set of wants vis a vis Shangri La without facing the associated costs?

I want to live outside of cities but the associated costs (ie. quality and price of certain services) are significant. Cities have their advantages. Nothing new to that.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
ah yes, he who sucks on the teat of the oil patch, somehow understands the plight of one being forced to take it up the a$$ by a monopoly
Sad, even by your standards 'spec. You already mentioned an alternative and you are not, if I recall correctly, deep inside a major urban centre. Noise, traffic and pollution suck, but there are some benefits.

·
Premium Member
42,903 Posts
Years ago I lived in an area that was a Rogers monopoly on a 750-foot stretch they didn't want to service--even though the line went past the house. I had the choice of paying a $1000 booster fee. I chose to watch less television and buy a bigger aerial.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Years ago I lived in an area that was a Rogers monopoly on a 750-foot stretch they didn't want to service--even though the line went past the house. I had the choice of paying a $1000 booster fee. I chose to watch less television and buy a bigger aerial.
rogers told me it would cost $20K to bring cable to my house, but then said they wouldn't provide service even if I did pay their ransom

and Bell was promising DSL ever since I moved here
interestingly dsl is provided in a village about 5 miles away that just happens to have cottages of executives nearby whilst parts of a town with 15,000 people don't have any Bell DSL

bell now says they won't be bringing DSL to my area as we have other "choices" i.e. the monopolistic satellite internet company

things that make one go hmmmmmmm

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
'Spec, have you talked to your neighbours? They may have directly relevant experience and/or could help with a group customer demand.

Also, regarding satellite service, have you asked other satellite services why they do not service the area? Again, neighbours can help here in providing a customer-block (that would likely require pre-contracts). Otherwise, one customer is not much for all the hassle.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
'Spec, have you talked to your neighbours? They may have directly relevant experience and/or could help with a group customer demand.

Also, regarding satellite service, have you asked other satellite services why they do not service the area? Again, neighbours can help here in providing a customer-block (that would likely require pre-contracts). Otherwise, one customer is not much for all the hassle.
you mean like this online petition?

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
That's only a beginning. In the end, people sign petitions far more readily than they hand over money. A group contract or local "sub-utility" (middle-man owned by the signatories) provider may be needed to provide the financial credibility.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Alas you don't live in the real boonies where plans are afoot to bring reasonably priced high speed webnet to the peoples an outlined here High-speed internet coming to northern N.B.

Might be an alternative for the community to look into though.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alas you don't live in the real boonies where plans are afoot to bring reasonably priced high speed webnet to the peoples an outlined here High-speed internet coming to northern N.B.

Might be an alternative for the community to look into though.
thanks for the link
i'll email that to our local township office
something really has to be done as Bell (who received millions in tax breaks to provide internet access to rural Ontario) is really getting away with something

1 - 16 of 16 Posts