Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be in the market for a new Mac soon, and have been weighing the
pros and cons. Here's the deal: I am doing more travel writing and digital photography as my newspaper career winds down, and so it would make sense to buy another portable (I owned a Powerbook 520 years ago that I donated to a friend in need). I am currently using an iMac/500 Mhz/1G/20G/LaCie 120G external drive (used for iPhoto and iTunes archiving)/30GiPod. The Mac will be staying with my wife when I hit the road again, and I have got used to at least that level of computing power. Since I don't do major Photoshop or iMovie work, the system has been powerful enough. Now the question becomes: Do I go top drawer and plunk for one of the new, 15-inch Powerbooks, or should I go for a less expensive G3 iBook and then buy a G5 desktop unit a year down the road station when it's time to settle down again when I could turn it into a home entertainment center as well as a work . The new unit must be able to run Panther when it arrives (love that OS X!) and be capable of supporting a lot of RAM (I've had great luck with the 1G I had installed in the iMac when I bought it. The LaCie drive will be part of my travelling kit. Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
If I had the money...I'd go for this one:

• 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
• 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 2x256 SO-DIMMs
• 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200 rpm
• SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
• Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
• AirPort Extreme Card
• 15.2-inch TFT Display

Subtotal basic price $3,699.00
(Never mind mentioning the extras that I'd want)

Dave :cool:

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
For what you do, a 900 MHz iBook would probably be good enough, IMO.

·
Registered
227 Posts
lars is prabably right (he usually is) but...in my opinion the g3 is a rapidly dying processor. i would maybe try to find a refurbished powerbook g4, 500mhz or so.

if it were me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would immediately go over to the trading post and buy Pamela's PB.

You will never find such a sweet deal.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
lars is prabably right (he usually is)
Do I detect sarcasm? ;)

If you are going to go the G3 line, I would actually wait until the iBooks are upgraded again. There is speculation that the new iBooks will have a heavily upgraded G3 processor that is comparable to the G4 processor and 1 GHz processors or even faster. And hey, maybe even some other nice features like AirPort Extreme. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Opinions are like.... :confused: fingerprints.

Anyhow, we have to determine the budget. But. w/ the budget in absentia, I would likely run with the 900 iBook. Max the ram out and you should be fine for a while. Travels well, sturdy and can do all that you need with the power you'll have. I rather this over an older TiBook. Better vid card. If you used to run the same apps on the older iMac - you should be comfy with the speed of this unit. As well, you'll still have some $$ for the G5 next year - right?? :D If the screen is an issue, than maybe the 14"?? Not that much more out the pocket. But the 12" iBook 900 is my call.

H!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
In terms of being able to do more later, I would recommend turning towards the 12" powerbook or the 15" low end model. The 12" offers power with the ability to max out at 1.25 Gig of RAM which is plenty if you want to dwell into anything like PS later....

The PB 15" would offer both the power of the 12", with the addition of a few extra features...

The iBook, could be an option, but it is very limited in terms of the technnology in it, and the new Powerbooks offer something for the future..

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input. I've got plenty to think about now. Since I've still got a couple of months before I have to make a move, I'll probably wait until after Christmas to see whether Apple brings the prices down. Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Oh god! Pamela's POWERBOOK! You have to see it!!!

It's your perfect solution! $3300 of 17" wide G4 goodness!

It's a steal! It's a GREAT desktop replacement too! Throw a monitor on it and mount it on an icurve - hell, don't take my word for it! Here, take a look for yourself:

http://www.ehmac.ca/cgi_bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=002975

...And here's the specification sheet:

http://www.apple-history.com/frames/body.php?page=gallery&model=pg4_17

...it's a crime that this beautiful machine has not sold! A CRIME I SAY!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
And if anyone's wondering...this Powerbook design shipped in late January this year and cost $3300 U.S.!!!

:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts