Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im currently running a G4, 466mhz, 1.25GB RAM with 90GB hard drive and im gonna sell it right after i decide on my next mac -

should i get the entry level G5 and keep my VGA monitor for now or
get a G4 powerbook (superdrive 12") or a 17" flat screen imac?

i like all three - but am at a loss for what too get - i can afford all three (well one of the three) but cant decide -

can anyone shed some light - am i being dumb by not going for the G5? is the 1.6mhz G5 going to be much faster than the G4 imac or powermac?

i pretty much do photoshop, dreamweaver work and would like to get into dvd burning if that makes a difference as to what would work best -

please help

thank you all

[ October 19, 2003, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: depmode101 ]

·
Registered
39 Posts
i'd go for the g5 personally because i dont have much of a need for portability, get the 17" imac if youre satisfied with the speed it has and if your vga monitor isnt very good. aparatnly even the low end g5 is faster than the dual 1.4 g4 for most things

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
with photoshop work, you may be forced to keep some sort of CRT (cathode ray tube) monitor, but every one of my clients that has purchased a computer (be it PC or Mac) with a LCD screen has been extremely happy and glad that they bought the screen.

I really reduces wear and tear on the eyes.

BUT, the colour calibration and fine resolution aren't really good enough for colour work.

Best you go to a retailer and check out a LCD screen. If the resolution is good enough, it is defintely worth it, in either stand alone or iMac FP versions.

Regarding portability, best you really ask yourself; "How much portability do I really need?"
Do you make presentatons at client sites?
Do you need to do work in hotels, planes, airports, etc?
Do you work at the office AND at home or cottage, etc?
You do pay a $ price for portability and if you really don't need it, the money is better spend elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
"I really reduces wear and tear on the eyes." ( sic )
Crock :rolleyes:

LCDs are slow - just drag a document full of text across and LCD to see it smear.
A current CRT at 85 mHz or up is just as easy on the eyes if not more so, offers more value and doesn't colour shift over time the way an LCD does. It also offers completely scaleable multisynching so you can run say a 19" at 1600x1200 or 1024 by 768 and get an equally crisp and defined image.

http://www.displaymate.com/crtvslcd.html

Notice the few pink areas for the CRT column and several of those only apply to low end CRTs.
The lack of good blacks is a real downside of LCDs - I find their image "glamourous" - initially attractive but annoying over time compared to a top end CRT - the problem is that many compare their 4-10 year old CRTs against a new LCD and never see a current good CRT for comparison.
An industry wide scam IMNSHO -
Just remember fundamentally you are staring at a fluorescent tube through a coloured plastic film. You know how the tubes in your office shift colour over time - well so does a backlight and it's NOT colour correctable and will often grown uneven as to bright and dimmer areas.
When OLED comes out then perhaps it will be different but if you have the room you'll never regret a top end CRT - you'll enjoy it for years.

Unless you are desk space challenged for the work you do get a G5 and a top notch CRT and RAID the G5 - you'll love it - the other machines are sloooooooow in comparison. :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
CRT's DO fatigue my eyes and MANY other people BIG TIME! I can't stand to work on a CRT for more than a couple of hours unless I'm in the mood for a severe migraine.

LCD's shifting colour over time more than CRT's? Now there's a crock!
A CRT can shift in colour from morning to afternoon, let alone huge colour shifts over a 2-3 year period. An LCD's colour is much more stable, although is prone to colour shifting on angle's on cheaper LCD's but very good on Apple's new LCD's that have a huge viewing angle. And why would you cock your head to the left and right of your screen when you're staring at your monitor anyway?

Good quality pure digital Apple LCD's are not slow, and if they are someone better tell all the pro's using them for FinalCut etc.. to stop using them.

As for scalable resultions, with OS X, why would anyone use anything but the largest native resolution? Maybe for games but with the newest G5's and fast video cards, might as well crank the resolution to the max. Games with interpolated video on LCD's is pretty darn good anyway.

From people who make big
margins on CRT displays (And who maybe can't sell the Apple LCD displays), you'll always get the CRT is better than LCD hog wash.

Thankfully, a lot of people are starting to see the light.

"At a color conference I went to last year sponsored by the Graphic Arts Technical Foundation, I heard one of the resident color experts make a claim that I found a bit startling. He was asked what monitor was the best for color fidelity. His answer was unequivocal, unhesitating and dumbfounding to some of the audience. He said he would prefer the Apple Cinema Display to a $6,000 Barco CRT monitor."

"LCDs simply don't suffer the many weaknesses CRTs exhibit in terms of color shift: necessary morning warm-up time, limited useable life of the vacuum tube, and the flickering and color distortion caused by converting digital color info into analog data."

·
Registered
273 Posts
I personally own the new G5 1.6 ghz powermac with a 17" Apple LCD display. I upgaded the ram to 1.25 gigabytes and raided 2 150 gig drives for high speed access to my data. I highly recomend this setup to anyone in the market for a new mac setup. The issue of eye strain is a factor for me personally. At work I sit in front of 2 twenty inch CRTs for 8 hours and my eyes are killing me (and yes I take many breaks and do eye excersises) but at home I never ever have sore eyes. Call me crazy but I swear it's the LCD display that is saving my eyes. The other thing I notice is my 17" Apple LCD is crisp from corner to corner, no out of focus blurry areas. The SONY Trinatron monitors that are at work just don't have perfect crisp focus. The speed that the G5 runs at is simply amazing. The pomermac I had just before the G5 was a dual 867 G4 and the G5 is definately faster at most applications. The Pioneer superdrive is a real nice addition as well. It burns a 4.7 gig DVD in about 10 minutes. I'm getting blank Maxells at my local PC store for $1.80 a piece. That's cheaper than buying 7 cds at 50 cents each for the equivalent amount of storage. The G5 tower is much quiter than my old G4 as well and in my small office that too is a big help. Now if I could only train the G5 to do my job I would definately be in heaven. When is Apple going to come out with the 'Powermac A.I.'
To make a long post short. Go for the G5 1.6 ghz. You will not be sorry.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Funny why not a single one of our very large graphics client base use LCDs for production work, only CRTs and also strange why Apple still promotes Mitsubishi CRTs on their own web site.

ANY LCD is slow in comparison to a CRT - just drag the text, KISS real simple to see and understand - no liquid crystal can switch on and off compared to electrons exciting phosphors.
Video guys can use the cheapest monitors around they don't care. LCDs are fine for web and video work tho they are still over priced.
Understand the technology before you spout about it.
It's getting better but it's no where near what a current CRT can do for 1/2 to 1/3 of the price.
Yes a CRT requires a short warm up for colour correct work and yes they can be colour corrected over time and the best do some of it automatically.
It doesn't matter WHO is making the LCD, Apple bought into Samsung to ensure supply but uses Phillips and LG as well there is only a few factories and they ALL use a non correctable backlight. Only Phillips has talked about a colour correctable backlight for medical use ( yes it's a problem there too) but it has not hit the consumer field.

There are very tight margins on CRTs even tighter in some respects - There is no more or less margin on a 19" LaCie than on a 17" Apple 'cept the LaCie has a 3 year warranty and excellent industry leading colour controls.
Apple has to beg it's dealer community to sell it's displays altho it's far better now that the prices are at least reasonable.

Here is the key phrase of a long paper on just this topic

"Color Calibration: From the preceding sections, it is clear that LCDs and CRTs are similar in several respects from the perspective of color calibration. Identical models based on channel independence and channel-chromaticity constancy can be used for the calibration of either type of display and the runtime mapping of images to display color coordinates can also be performed using the inverse model of Fig. 2 in either case. For the CRT, these models provide extremely good accuracy, whereas for LCDs, the accuracy is good enough for most applications.monitor. "

Yep good enough for "most" applications. Damned with faint praise. Factor in the price and other limitations and you can see why there is very limited adoption in the industries where colour counts.
You can buy two very accurate NEC/Mitsubishi Graphic Pro 19"s for the price of a single Apple 17' and get 3 x the warranty, better colour and faster response plus a choice of resolutions.

here ya go..go nuts

http://www.efg2.com/Lab/Library/Color/Science.htm

Funny why Barco who offers LCDs for other applications offers NONE for prepress. That should clearly tell you something.

Price warranty durability all better value in upper end CRTs - just how much is 8"-10" of deskspace worth? And a 23" LCD does not have a "small foot print" by any means.

Mind you an LCD does reduce your electricity bills - perhaps over 50 years you might recoup the original cost difference.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Before I spout eh?
I could probably spout off about 10x more than you think...

there is only a few factories and they ALL use a non correctable backlight. Only Phillips has talked about a colour correctable backlight for medical use ( yes it's a problem there too) but it has not hit the consumer field.

[sic]

Yes a CRT requires a short warm up for colour correct work and yes they can be colour corrected over time and the best do some of it automatically.

It's obvious you don't have an understanding of how colour calibration works then. It has nothing to do with adjusting the monitor, but controlling and adjusting the colour space you work in. The key to this is having a display with a consistent colour space. Tell me, what colour calibration work flow do you recommend for your "large graphics client base"?

Apple has to beg it's dealer community to sell it's displays altho it's far better now that the prices are at least reasonable.

Are you saying that Apple begs you to sell their displays? Or perhaps, that you're not a part of the Apple dealer community? Funny, my experience has been that Apple's LCD display lineup sells very, VERY well especially at the market leading prices for their pure digital LCD displays. From the article I linked to which reviews the Apple LCD displays: "Apple has run into the same problem it had with the initial Cinema Display release: It cannot seem to make these monitors fast enough to fill the demand."

ANY LCD is slow in comparison to a CRT - just drag the text, KISS real simple to see and understand - no liquid crystal can switch on and off compared to electrons exciting phosphors.

As your reading this sentence, are you dragging your browser window across the screen? Who moves a window around when they are trying to read text? I do often scroll, and when I scroll, the text looks perfectly clear. In fact, the only thing I need to look at on my screen that is moving, is video.. which looks fantastic on the Apple LCD displays. Especially wide format Apple displays which are great for video timelines and not having to worry about having 3x the desktop space for two honking, ugly CRT's display. Don't even get me started on aesthetics of the ugle CRT beasts that are out there.

Its a good thing CRT's have 3 years of warranty.
If you're spending many G's on a good G5 and display, you can pick up AppleCare for $350 and get 3 year Apple warranty on both the computer and the display. But I guess you have to go to a Apple dealer that's a part of the Canadian Mac community to get that.

And a 23" LCD does not have a "small foot print" by any means.

Mitsubishi 22" Display (Only 20" Viewable area)
21.2 in. (W) x 18.7 in. (H) x 18.5 in. (D)
Total of 345.95 square inches for desk footprint
Total of 7334.12 cubic inches for desk clearance
(Better get a big desk. Hate to measure what two 19" displays with four clunky cables would add up to)

Apple 23" Cinema HD Display (True 23" Viewable Area)
24.2 in. (W) x 19.2 in. (H) x 7.3 in. (D)
Total of 140.16 square inches for desk footprint
Total of 3391.87 cubic inches for desk clearance

Quite a bit smaller footprint I'd say for a display with a much large viewable area. And remember, this is the display that the colour expert from the Graphic Arts Technical Foundation spoke about: "He was asked what monitor was the best for color fidelity. His answer was unequivocal, unhesitating and dumbfounding to some of the audience. He said he would prefer the Apple Cinema Display to a $6,000 Barco CRT monitor.

Your arguments will hold even less water when according to Think Secret: "As for displays, one unconfirmed report suggests that displays will keep their current form factor for the time being, but an updated version will be released with updated internals featuring even better color and a faster refresh rate."

Apple also has a nice story about Paula Scher. "From award-winning campaigns for nonprofit theaters to the design of a city within a city in Washington, D.C., Scher has established a reputation as a designer’s designer. Along the way, Scher has been inducted into the Art Directors Club Hall of Fame, received the prestigious Chrysler Award for Innovation in Design, the AIGA Gold Medal and seen her work added to the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art."

Gee, what display do many of her designers work with?

Apple LCD Displays are also now SWOP certified

LCD's are not the right display for every project, but to right them off because there "slow" or "two expensive" is doing an injustice to these awesome, wonderful products and a disservice to your clients and to ehMac members.

I don't think I'd be into computers anymore if I didn't have LCD's to work with.

I just noticed, there is a free online course for colour management from Apple right now too.

Also, a good, detailed PDF on Apple's LCD Displays

Now we can really go nuts.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
"I really reduces wear and tear on the eyes." ( sic )
Crock
ain't no crock
2 of my clients have been able to stop using eye drops within days of the purchase of LCD monitors to replace their CRT monitor

one is a bookeeper, the other is a secretary

as i has typed before, i don' t think LCD is ready for high end colour / graphics / prepress work , but many people don't do that kind of work and for them the LCD can be a good choice

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
now, as for colour management, that is another kettle of fish

in a typcial DTP/graphics/prepress setting you have
- monitors
- printers (image/plate setters, proofers and presses)
- scanners

all of which have their own calibration issues
stock ICC profiles or ColorSync profiles are not always useful because each individual item needs to be calibrated in its current evironment

stock profiles are usually created on initial releases of devices or even prototypes

to truly calibrate, one really should create a profile for each device, starting with the press and work backwards to proofer, scanner and monitor

can anybody say "color densitometer" ?
sure, i knew you could
would anyone ever output films on an uncalibrated imagesetter or platesetter?
for anyting other than simple busines cards and flyers, the answer is a resounding NO

true color calibration/management requires a rigorous workflow design and a few bucks to commit to such a workflow and be prepared to re-calibrate on an ongoing basis

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Oh and after all that, depmode101 I would recomend to keep the CRT and get a G5 and save your pennies for an Apple LCD in the future.
Put as much ram as possible in the G5 you get. :D

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
If Apple LCDs or any LCDs can do all you claim why are CRTs still featured on Apple's site?

Quit being snide about "Apple dealers" - you should know very well the pressure they get from Apple to sell Apple displays "with every system". I've been in this business for 18 years, I source what my clients require. Sure we sell a few Apple screens, they are gorgeous and make a statement in an office. Invariably these are to web or video or personal use. None to prepress unless it's for the secretary.

Your design firm quoted also does a wide range of media including web and CAD and video for which the displays are fine. They are not exclusively a prepress house and of course Apple is going to tout users like those.

The 23" has single native resolution of 1920x1200. The Mits will go to 2048x1536, excellent for CAD work and any other resolutions you happen to want to use.
The Apple depth is 7" to 11" and most desks easily handle 18" depth plus the "base" footprint is no larger than the 23" as the tube chassis overhangs at the back.
You could buy TWO of the Diamondtrons and plenty of change left over for the price of a single Cinema display and get a 3 year warranty with no extra cost

Of course you can manage colour by numbers but clients don't, they set up their monitors. Willy is the head PS guy for a huge client - he gets paid a ton money a year and can have ANYTHING he wants on his desk...by the boss's order. 3 x 19' matched CRTs that's his setup.
I'm supposed to argue with him about the "benefits" designing on LCDs.....I don't think so.
Another good sized client does medical imaging - 22" CRTs all the way except a few small LCDs for palette monitors....and the head tech used to work for Apple.

I ask my graphic clients about LCDs and they laugh. They have work to get done.
One designer who purchased an LCD for her work against our advice was almost in tears until we told yes she could swap into a 19" LaCie once she realized our concerns were bang on.
Now my web guys love em - they like to impress clients. The video guys are so so - mostly a cost issue - they want big multiple space for cheap.
We never discourage video or web designers or consumers other than a cost/warranty caution. Cinema displays are gorgeous screens paired up with a Cube or tower and are arguably best or close to best in class.
Apple is trying to get LCDs into situations where there already ARE excellent CRT solutions - what's the point.
Barco knows this - they sell LCDs for everything EXCEPT prepress.
LCDs are an industry scam getting consumers to pay for developing technology at high prices. They are not designed for 24/7 work - just look at the note that comes up when you turn screen saver off on a Cinema display - ( "You may shorten the life of your screen" .......yeah you bet it will! )

Once the flat screens get away from the backlighting THEN it's a whole different ball game and that's getting close. OLED is getting near and then we will have truly flat - paper thin screens that are enormous.
Pixel speed will always be an issue compared to CRTs.

Bottom line, get the monitor that is cost effective, reliable over time and useful for the type of work you do. LCDs are NOT inherently better than CRTs as the industry would have you believe. The tech industry WANTS you to want an expensive new technology. There is good reason Apple still sells excellent CRTs on it's website. :D

Similar issues are going on in the HiDef world and THAT's even a more expensive area of consideration.
Thinking about it?......DLP is fabulous and is likely the technology of choice for the next few years. Proven CRT or CRT rear projection are safe, good value and long lasting.
Anything else you are likely to regret in the long term. :cool:

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Exactly Macspectrum re: colour management... so being that LCD's are very stable in colour, are SWOP certified, can be fully and accurately profiled, why do you think they are not suitable for colour critical work?

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
If Apple LCDs or any LCDs can do all you claim why are CRTs still featured on Apple's site?

What does the heck does that say about anything? Apple still sells tape backups on their site. Are they saying CD and DVD's are not good for backup? Are they saying Logic is no good because they also sell Cubase? Is their wireless mouse no good because the also sell the Kensington wireless mouse? Apple lists lots of 3rd party proeducts. Why is selling a 3rd party CRT display for the gamer or the person on a budget seem odd?

Your design firm quoted also does a wide range of media including web and CAD and video for which the displays are fine.

Umm.. depmode101 said he was using his Mac for "photoshop, dreamweaver work and would like to get into dvd burning", not prepress.

I've been in this business for 18 years, I source what my clients require.

Oh, and Apple dealers don't? You're implying they're merely puppets buckling under Apple's pressure to sell LCD's? Who's being snide? Apple dealers have all the resources and more for providing (not sourcing) solutions for Mac users.

The Apple depth is 7" to 11" and most desks easily handle 18" depth plus the "base" footprint is no larger than the 23" as the tube chassis overhangs at the back.

11" if you tilt it all the way back so its almost pointing straight up.

Base footprint no larger than 23"? I don't know how your doing your math. I just compared a 23" Cinema to a 22" CRT and there was a large difference. If we do a more accurate comparison with viewable area, you'd be looking at a 24" CRT (With still smaller viewable). They have a depth of 20.6". Let's look at a illustration to make it more clear:

You could buy TWO of the Diamondtrons and plenty of change left over for the price of a single Cinema display and get a 3 year warranty with no extra cost.

So. Dell sell's 3 year warranty's at no extra cost too and I could buy 2 of them for the price of a dual G5... so what's your point? With both I end up with technology that will do the job, but one will do it much better.

I ask my graphic clients about LCDs and they laugh. They have work to get done.

??? O....kay.....
So if I go to a used car dealership, and they ask me about a really awesome car that they could "source" for me, and I laugh at them and say I have to get work done, that would be good justification for that really cool car not being good? If one lady starts crying about an LCD display
:D that means the technology is not suitable? Or is is more a case of "against your advice" why your customers don't buy LCD?

I'm supposed to argue with him about the "benefits" designing on LCDs...

Just like in the article I mentioned written by Stephen Beals who is the prepress supervisor for Finger Lakes Press where he says, "I have heard many others rebut this statement, saying LCDs just aren't good for critical evaluation. There is no doubt that this was true of previous generations of LCDs, and even a few of the new ones. However, after looking at the monitors covered in this review, I would not hesitate to put them in situations involving critical color matching. In fact I will be switching to an LCD for just that application."

I don't know if I'd argue with my customer over LCD and CRT.. but I certainly wouldn't do the disservice of scarring them off LCD neither.

There is definitely a, what I like to call, "LCD Stigma" out there, thanks in no part to all the FUD out there that "CRT's are not good for colour". Finally, many people are starting to get it. That it's nothing less than 100% pure BS. The price considerations are still there, but again, if you're spending several G's on G5, plus legitimate copies of all your design apps, and a good printer for client proofs etc... I don't think price is going to be the end all for your decision. If you're a good designer and got the skills to pay the bills, you're going to buy the product to best suit your needs and your work environment.

Barco knows this - they sell LCDs for everything EXCEPT prepress.

Barco has just started to sell LCD displays. (They probably see the writing on the wall) Regarding your client in medical imaging, its interesting that Barco is promoting a LCD Upgrade kit for "Legacy" CRT based systems:

"The new MeDis® upgrade kit combines all the benefits of advanced flat panel technology (compactness, energy efficiency, long life cycle and low cost of ownership)"

Also: "The 20.1" [LCD] displays’ short response time and high contrast ratio (1000:1) make them ideally suited for moving images."

LCDs are an industry scam getting consumers to pay for developing technology at high prices. They are not designed for 24/7 work - just look at the note that comes up when you turn screen saver off on a Cinema display - ( "You may shorten the life of your screen" .......yeah you bet it will! )

I think you're really grasping here. Industry scam eh?

This HD beauty is not a scam if you ask me. The screen saver message applies just as much, if not more to CRT screens. LCD's have a longer life compared to the limited useable life of the vacuum tube. From Barco's feature list on their Solaris LCD Display:

No burn-in effect (They know a thing or two about CRT's)
High brightness
High contrast, even in higher ambient light environments
Ultra-high native resolution
Digital inputs, including SDI, DVI and HD-SDI
Low power consumption
Long lifetime

Unless of course, you care to argue with Barco. I've worked with hundreds of Apple LCD displays and I've only seen one or two problems with a backlight that you speak of (More on laptops, but they have a smaller backlight), but I can't count how many 3-5 year old CRT's I've seen go belly up with wonky colour for really funky geometry. The LCD's that did have a backlight problem where out of the box and while very annoying, where of course replaced by Apple under warranty.

Don't write off buying an Apple LCD as some people who don't sell Apple LCD's would have you believe. Just like Apple, every Apple dealer will sell different display technologies like CRT and LCD, just like they sell different backup technologies like DAT, CD, Zip and printer technologies like laser and ink jet.

- Do buy an Apple LCD display if you do colour critical work!
- Do buy a LCD if you're not on a tightly constrained budget and can afford one.
- Do buy a LCD if like many people, subliminal flickering CRT's give you a headache and eye-fatigue (Again, I wouldn't be using computers, and there'd be no ehMac, if LCD's didn't exist
- Do buy a LCD if you don't have a football field for a desk
- Do buy a LCD if you don't like cocking your head back and forth looking at two separate displays or you like a long Final Cut Pro timeline on one display, or you like your Photoshop tool palettes right beside your document etc..
- Do buy an Apple LCD display if, along with your cool new cordless mice and keyboard, your want to reduce wire clutter on your desk
- Do buy an Apple LCD display if you want to buy an aesthetically pleasing monitor to compliment your aesthetically pleasing Mac

Now THAT'S the bottom line, cause ehMax said so.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I think ehMax covered everything that I would have said, in fact probably more. Nice!

macdoc said:
Quit being snide about "Apple dealers" - you should know very well the pressure they get from Apple to sell Apple displays "with every system".

I'd just like to point out that if you think Apple is the only company that does this, you're out of your mind. Where I work we sell Macs and PCs. Apple wants us to sell Apple displays with Apple towers, HP wants us to sell HP displays with HP towers, Sony wants us to sell Sony displays with Sony towers.

It is pretty typical behaviour.

--PB

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
I would suggest that the manufacturer profit margin on LCD monitors is higher than "standard" CRT monitors, hence one of the reasons for the push.

Only because they are a newer technology to hit the street as opposed to CRTs that have just about hit rock bottom in price.

Remember when a 20" color CRT monitor used to cost $3,000?

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
ehMax asked;
why do you think they are not suitable for colour critical work?
The "sharpness" is just not there with LCDs. Not yet.
LCDs do have a "wow" factor, but are still best suited for non high-end color intensive work.
CRTs still hold the high ground with high-end colour and prepress work.

I compare my DELL P991 to the LCDs that I have seen and there is still a gap.

Create a Quark document and try small font sizes (i.e. less than 9 and see what happens on CRT vs. LCD)

Also, good CRTs can still be had for much less than LCDs. One day this may all change.

I don't know if I answered your question ehmax. I think I just sort of danced around it. Hopefully my dancing created some sort of path of enlightenment..... ;)

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
The "sharpness" is just not there with LCDs. Not yet.

I disagree. I've got 7 point text in my InDesign document here and it looks great. Curious to know which LCD's your using, but Apple's digital LCD's are extremely sharp and you don't have to sacrifice brightness for sharpness as you do with CRT's. Plus, their sharpness is uniform across the entire display which is physically impossible for CRT's. The electron beam HAS to shoot on an angle to get in the corners. Its impossible for them beam to hit at a perpendicular angle in the corners. I don't have a high end CRT in front of me, but the CRT on the built in eMac is blurry in the corners if I look closely. And because I just moved it from one location to the other in the house, the geometry is slightly off. If I just tap the side of the CRT, the geometry giggles.

And sharpness doesn't really play a part in consistent, uniform colour, which is thee most important part in colour accuracy. A CRT's colour will change based on temperature and other environmental factors.

The colour gamut of an LCD is perceptually higher thanks to its increased brightness, especially in ambient rooms. No more working in darkened rooms for accurate colour.

ICS integrate Colour Solutions is thee first company to have a soft proof (Just matching colour with your display instead of a hard copy printout) colour system that is SWOP certified.

From the FAQ:

Q. What are the hardware and system requirement for the Remote Director 2.0 system?
A. The Remote Director 2.0 system has the following minimum system requirements:
– Apple Macintosh G4 with OS 10.2 (Jaguar) , 1.5 GB RAM, 20 GB hard drive
– 24-bit color display.
– Gretag/Macbeth Eye-One emissive (monitor only) spectrophotometer.
NOTE: To meet the SWOP® Certification standards, ICS recommends the Apple Cinema Display or Apple 23” HD display.

They won awards with this technology from the Graphics Arts Technical Foundation.

The new crop of LCD's from Apple have a very uniform backlight. I can't wait for the next crop to come out.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I'll second the sentiments written by ehMax. My Apple 17" LCD is far superior in sharpness to any CRT I have or had. My preferred service bureau is replacing all it's CRTs with Apple LCDs over the next year. It would seem Apple has hit the mark with this latest generation of LCDs.

I would guess the predominant reason more prepress shops aren't switching to LCD is cost... nothing else.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Macdoc and Ehmax are covering both side quite well... there are reasons for and against each type of screen...

Funny, most people prefer the monitor that looks best to them... not very scientific reasoning, but who said humans were scientific.

In a similar vien... I refuse to buy any monitor that has an Apple logo on it.... True there is no comparison between the LCD's Apple is selling today and the 3 or 4 Apple monitors I have had catch fire or just blip into a small white dot... all of them within 3 months of Apples crummy 1 year warranty... Apple calles them paper weights...

Coincidentally, every singel ViewSonic Monitor I have still works fine... Oldest is 9 or 10 yrs....

Nothing scientific about my reasoning, and I won't debate it with you.... Apple Monitors suck, and I won't buy one again...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts