Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

I'm seeking your expert advice before purchasing. :D

I need a storage solution for our current customer graphics files. These are big Photoshop files, up to a gig, which are accessed on a local network by multiple machines.

I like the idea of external firewire drives because they can be moved to another machine in the event one machine fails. I also like the idea that i can have a real-time backup by purchasing two firewire drives and mirroring.

As always, I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on this, or any other alternative. Please include what make, size, setup, etc. you're using.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Sounds like a great solution for your client.

I didn't want to upgrade the internal drive on my ibook so I got an external firewire enclosure (generic brand from an import store - sorry, don't have the make/model for you) and an 80gig drive...should have shopped around a little more as I could have gotten a 120gig for about $10 more. Doh!

I like it because it can easily move between my ibook and my PC for doing quick backups and sharing the really big files. You may also want to consider getting a USB/Firewire enclosure if you want true cross platform connectivity.

The only downside may be that some of the enclosures I've seen have loud fans (which could presumably be replaced)....the higher end drives like LaCie are quieter so you may want to pay more if sound is an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
For files of that importance, don't skimp on the purchase. LaCie's d2 drives are as bulletproof as it gets, plus LaCie is located at King & Dufferin, should you ever require service. I had some minor USB issues with one of their drives a while back and was very satisfied with the level of professionalism they showed.

My Apple retailer is running the same set up you mentioned (2 LaCie d2s mirrored) and states it's as good as it gets for a reliable back up solution.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If your going Firewire make sure it has an Oxford 911 Chipset onboard, especially if you are transfering larger files. The Lacie drives all have this now. There are drives out there by Fantom which have both FW and USB2 connection for more versitility and are about 2/3 of the price of a Lacie.

808kik

·
Registered
435 Posts
Why not get one of the apple XServe Raid? Thats real storage... Ok, I admit that it cost a lot but if the files must be accessible at all time by many user, seems like this is the solution...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

XServe RAID would the ultimate solution, but a lot more than our small business can afford right now.

Dual external FW drives seem to be the most economical and safe way to store these unique client files.

macdoc has always suggested partitioning, to make recovery easier.
Is it possible to use OSX software RAID mirroring on partitioned drives? I thought it would only work on entire volumes.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
You are correct in your assumption only entire volumes can be mirrored via OS X RAID utility.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
someone break down the whole 2 ext. HD/mirroring process. Sorta lost here. :confused: My Man 'Sauga??? JT??

H!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heh dolawren, what a cool product!
I didn't think it was possible to have a file server, without the server.
And at $199 USD.
Aint technology grand!

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
There's only one teensy weensy problem...
Well maybe two problems:
1) The external hard drive only allows one user to use it at a time.
(Although I think you can mirror the drives for multi users)
2) The hard drive doesn't have a fan to keep it cool.

More info here:

http://www.ximeta.com/netdisk_netdisk.html

Dave :cool:

[ September 07, 2003, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: dolawren ]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts