Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find out what this is a bizaare thingamabob from Apple is. It's the only time I've ever seen anything like it. Whenever someone who knows a thing or three about Apple products pops over I ask them, but none of them know either.

I've also emailed this picture to some people who should know, but again no luck. (At least from those who returned the email. Some were too busy... Doctor Dave!).

Anyway, if someone can satisfy my enormous curiosity, I'd appreciate it!

:eek:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
It's a windshield wiper for your monitor, right? ;)

No comment as to why it would be needed. Ahem.

Seriously though, I'm now curious as to what the purple thing-a-ma-jig is too.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
could be a nice piece of design work from a clever artist.
could be a device Apple made and decided not to release.
could be a device coming soon
probably is nothing that we will ever see soon

·
Registered
124 Posts
I believe it's the additional 'rest' for the first Apple 15" LCD. You had the option of removing the display from the 'raising'-stand and attaching the piece in question - making the display sit much like a table-top picture frame.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm almost sure because the later revisions of the early Apple LCD [when revised to match the smurf G3's and then graphite G4's], came with a white-translucent one.

·
Registered
507 Posts
It's definitely the Apple 15" Studio Display (LCD) optional stand. The color is a bit odd though. I've seen bondi blue ones, and graphite ones, but never purple.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the 15" Studio Display optional stand make lots of sense. Thanks to everyone who replied.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Except for the colour, I am holding one of those things right now :D It is indeed the alternate stand for the original Apple 15" LCD (Codenamed 'Manta'), but I've never used it; I am a huge fan of the other stand that came with mine, which is *almost* as good as the chrome stick that the new iMac's head sits on.

Cheers,
Podboy

·
Registered
363 Posts
this isn't quite a full explanation, but;

there was an original 15" lcd, in that shade of purple, in dan and casey's office on the show sports night. (which was, in my opinion, the greatest television show to ever be aired)

why it was purple, i do not know, but it's definitely the monitor that matches that stand.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rod, maybe you should auction it on ebay - it's starting to sound like an uncommon 'rare' piece of Apple history. On the other hand, you could just start a collection and see if you can find some of the less rare ones ;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it would look nice sitting between my 20th Anniversary Mac and my 1913 Oliver No. 5 typewriter. Don't ask me why, I just think it would look cool. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts