Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...I keep hearing this new term, "blog," but I have no clue what the hell it is.

Can someone please help me out of my pit of ignorance?

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
A blog, in essence is a web log. Or a log/journal that is posted on the web. Many people did the very simple version when the internet got started with everyone starting to make web pages, but this is the next evolution. Check blogger.com or jfpoole's site to see examples of blogs.

EDIT: And also, Blogs are awesome for group projects and you'll see many open source projects use a blog to announce the latest news.

[ July 24, 2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Chealion ]

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
blog = weB LOG. Web Log

This is a kind of online journal that is maintained by an individual and added to day by day or as the spirit moves. Quality varies from the ridiculous to the sublime.

"Bloggers" are aided and abetted by various brands of "Blogging Software" A Sherlock or Google search will turn up far more information on the topic than you can easily handle.

Blogs are just Web pages - you can read them with any Web browser. To keep up to date with a number of them, though, an RSS application makes it easy to "subscribe." Since the blogging and RSS phenomena have really taken hold since I stopped using OS 9, I only know about OS X solutions - for all I know, there may also be OS 9 apps.

The RSS reader I use myself is NetNewsWire Lite:
http://ranchero.com

NetNewsWire Lite allows you to subscribe to as many blogs as you want - when the author adds something, the blog is highlighted in the list. You can also keep up with the news on lots of Web sites that have an RSS feed - an increasingly common feature. There's a handy list of available newsfeeds and blogs built into the program, or you can add your own. NetNewsWire Light is a Cocoa program - true native OS X - so it's not available in OS 9 or Windoze.

Cheers :-> Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.