ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out looking at garage sales looking for a db-15 to vga adapter instead I came home with 5 cd rom drives, 6 5.25 inch floppy drives and a zip block bag filed with ram (I took the whole free box) but I bought this.

The ends look like this

The last two shots arnt mine but you probly knew that anyways I am wondering since its vga female maybe can I record a vga output. If you know what it and how to use it it would be greatly apreaceated.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Only thing I can think of is that it looks like an ADB to Serial adapter adapter that allows a regular mouse to be used on an older Mac. It could also be meant to go the other way, but I can't tell from the pic.

If it's definitely a VGA connection and not serial then I can only imagine it is intended to go with a video card that supports a proprietary connection, either for video capture or output. The pinout in the second image doesn't conform to the S-Video arrangement and seems to have too many pins for and ADB connection.

(Note for general info: ADB = Apple Desktop Bus: think of it as a much earlier version of USB).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only thing I can think of is that it looks like an ADB to Serial adapter adapter that allows a regular mouse to be used on an older Mac. It could also be meant to go the other way, but I can't tell from the pic.

If it's definitely a VGA connection and not serial then I can only imagine it is intended to go with a video card that supports a proprietary connection, either for video capture or output. The pinout in the second image doesn't conform to the S-Video arrangement and seems to have too many pins for and ADB connection.

(Note for general info: ADB = Apple Desktop Bus: think of it as a much earlier version of USB).
the second image is apple macintosh serial acording to wiki I have used it to setup apple talk before like you old printer or modem port

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I suspect your third photo is wrong.

Count the number of pins and rows on your cable, I bet it has two rows and not the three that a standard VGA video cable has.

As the other fellow surmised it is most likely a serial to DB9 connector or not since it seems like you just scored a bunch of PC stuff and not Mac stuff....

·
Registered
619 Posts
Only other clue I could find is on this site (Cables To Go - DIN Connector Guide).
The last selection says, "This connection was commonly used with the serial interface on older Apple computers. Nowadays, it can sometimes be found on portable video devices." So it could even be a custom cable for a "portable video device" of some description. So far as I know these connections are used as controller cables and not for video or audio transmission.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
counted my vga it has 3 rows of pins one pin is missing for the midle row and the other photo is corrent is has 2 arroows going in the opisite direction on the 8 pin and the vga is un marked

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
counted my vga it has 3 rows of pins one pin is missing for the midle row and the other photo is corrent is has 2 arroows going in the opisite direction on the 8 pin and the vga is un marked
engrish pls

sounds like you got a PC mini din to vga cable. XX)

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
The mystery cable is for an ancient digitizer tablet,

If you need a DB-15 adaptor PM me your address and I will send you one - we kept most of our Quadra vintage Trinitron monitors until they were replaced with LCD's just a few years ago so I have lots.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts